upvc door

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I have to fit a UPVC Door into a cavity wall in a shed. Its a cavity wall built with 2 X 4" blocks, spaced 3-4" apart rather than a wall built from cavity blocks. The walls were built 40years ago and a timber door installed the frame of the door closing the cavity. Timber door frame is well rotten. The space which was left in the blockwork is 7ft 1" high and 3ft wide, 3-4" cavity. When the doorway was plastered up the remaining gap is 7ft high X 3ft wide. Its nice and square. Lintel in place overhead.

I was wondering what size of door should I be on the look out for here.

It would be quite easy if it was into a solid wall, get a door as follows 6ft 11.5" high and 2ft 11.5 wide and put screws into the solid wall sides.

The concrete at the doorway entrance is the same level as the floor, thus I was wondering how best to seal at ground level.

Is it dig out the concrete 6" wide and sink the frame into the fresh conrcete or is there a good quality sealent available to glue it down along with long screws.

Sponsored Links
Do you care about thermal performance or water ingress at all?

Do you care about thermal performance or water ingress at all?

Thermal performance not so worried out, given where the door is. Water ingress - yes Id like to avoid a problem with water seeping in going forward, hence I was thinking sink the frame into the new concrete should make it waterproof.

WHat is the best way to do it, is what Im wondering. Feel free to share any tips you have.

Sponsored Links
Without getting ridiculous expensive the regular method for a level threshold is to have some form of drainage outside the door then the dpm lapped continuous with dpc.

Depends on the construction though, a 40 year old shed may not have these features at all.

To seal the frame a low modulus neutral cure silicone is what you are after.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back