Rotten feet on front door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bottom few inches of my front door frame has rotted on both sides. The remainder seems sound. Is it possible to repair this by cutting out the bottom four inches and fitting a new piece of timber or is a new door frame in order? The door frame is for a large door, 2'10 x 6'10 and has a window above so a standard door frame won't fit this.

Also is it ok to line the frame with a timber to effectively reduce the internal size of the door frame to accept a smaller more standard sized door?

Sponsored Links
I have done many repairs on door frame although I don't agree with it and my reason is a) don't know how far the moisture is sucked up the wood and b) the door frame can be weaken if not done correctly.
The best option is a new hardwood frame but it's really up to you.
Also is it ok to line the frame with a timber to effectively reduce the internal size of the door frame to accept a smaller more standard sized door?
Might be an idea to rip the old frame out and put in fresh new timber to build your new size frame

Thanks Masona. On closer inspection I think a repair is not worth it. Theres also evidence of woodworm too. A new frame it is!!. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back