new door frame too small

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have acquired a new french door frame and set of doors which i am hoping to use to replace my old rotting ones.
The old ones are wood and the new ones are double glazed Upvc. The width of the frames are identical but the height of the new doors and frame are 2 inches less than the original ones and the door way. Is it possible to raise the bed of mortar that the frame will sit on so that it reduces the height of the opening by 2 inches or does any one else have any more suitable suggestions.

Also I am assuming that when i take the old frame out that the door frame attaches to the jam the same way as windows with an anchor being placed inot a predrilled hole in the brick work and the frame being screwed into place.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can either build it up, or fill in the head. Locval plastic suppliers will do a cover strip a couple of inches wide if you wanted to fill over the door.

The old frame probably will indeed be fixed the same.
For fixing the new frames, whilst you can use tradtional crews, you are better of using proper fixing, usually avalbe from DIY stores, builders merchants etc.
Woody

hi
If you know the name of the profile (rehau spectus etc) you can buy something called"knock on or add on" that clips in to the profile to add width or height it is mainly for deep plaster lines but would do the job for you and is available in various depths silicone and screw for best results.

cheers chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back