new door/frame into steele frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am wanting to replace my front wood door with a upvc frame / door,
i stay in a steele house, the existing door frame is steele,which means i have to fix the new frame to the existing steele frame, (which will make new door smaller) how do i go about fixing the frame to the steele,
would self taping screws be okay?

Sponsored Links
Self tapping screws will work well enough, so long as the existing steel frame is thin enough for you to physically turn the screw to get it to bite.....if the frame is too thick the best option is to drill the existing frame and cut screw threads using a tap....often 8mm diameter threads are fine.
You would place the new upvc frame in the opening, drill through that and 'spot' with your drill where you wanted the new threaded holes.
A time for considerable patience and accuracy, I think!
John :)

thanks burnerman, i will drill a hole to test a self tapping screw,can you get countersunk self tappers,i was wondering if the normal one's would be all right, what size screw should i use,

Sponsored Links
You can get countersunk self tapping screws, certainly. I think you need to do a test drill to find out how thick the frame is - if its more than 2mm thick there's no way you'll get a self tapper in. Screwfix 11016, for example.
If you have sucess, hunt around for some quite substantial screws, maybe 4 to 5mm in diameter, and choose a pilot drill about 1mm less.
This isn't the easiest task to do, but with care and patience it should go ok.
Check out Wing screws, which have a pozi drive head - similar to Screwfix 16652 and see what you think. These are self drilling.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back