Fitting soft-close drawer runners to old drawers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right forum...

Been mooiching around a few kitchen showrooms, rather like the soft-close drawer runners. Blum seem to be the best make (?)

Our kitchen fittings were made in 1972. Solid elm. The drawers are like the drawers in a Victorian chest of drawers, they sit on wooden runners with wooden cheeks.

Peering at the soft-close runners, the sort that fit on the side are no good to me, but those that that fit underneath, it looks as if I might be able to fit them, perhaps need to raise the drawer bottoms to accomodate the runner mechanism.
The drawers are properly dovetailed and glued, the bottoms are grooved into the front & sides. Might be kinda fiddly to alter but not impossible.

Anyone done this?
Any tips?

Ivor

Sponsored Links
The bottom fit style might work but the draw front have to overhang all round to hide and allow adjustment. You would need to remove rail and plane down the sides to reduce chance of binding.Might be easier to buy soft close draw linings and fit you draw fronts to them.

Thanks. Didn't know one could buy the linings. I'll check the sizes. Mine will be imperial of course.

Ivor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back