Fitting Stone Shower Tray onto tiled floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a new stone resin based shower tray onto existing porcelain floor tiles ( I cant remove the tiles , as it would affect the underfloor heating .

Would I be ok fitting directly onto them with tile adhesive - possibly scouring the surface of the tiles to aid bonding ??

Or should I bond a sheet of ply to the floor , and fit the tray to that ?

Alternatively , should I look for an alternative type of tray ?

Also , what type of tile adhesive is best

Thanks , Colin

Sponsored Links
This is probably a silly question but how do you plan to fit the shower waste?

Sponsored Links
I think that, unless your tiles have been fitted exceptionally well, you'll find that any method that involves fitting the tray onto the tiles, which appear from what you've said to be on a wooden floor, is asking for trouble. I can see the tiles coming loose and the whole lot starting to move...the seal between the tray on the wall will fail, and you'll end up with water coming through the ceiling downstairs...

Hmm , I`m happy with the tiling , and dont want to start disturbing it - so it`ll have to be plan B , then !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back