Resin slimline shower tray on suspended floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My plumber has fitted a slimline resin (not stone) shower tray on my suspended bathroom floor. The floor is to be tiled and I have noticed that the 18mm ply is butted up to the tray and not underneath it, do I need to discuss this with him as I understood the tray should be fitted on top of the ply?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
By all means ask him about it :)

The thing about putting a tray on ply is usually where a raised platform has been created, the surface of which is ply. Since you presumably have floorboards and he has managed to install the trap and waste below this, and has followed the manufacturer's usual instructions about bedding it on mortar to ensure 100% support and keeping the tray level, then you should have nothing to worry about. Butting the ply up as he has done will mean that you'll have an even smaller step over the threshold, which is aesthetically a good thing IMHO.

Thank you calorific, I don't know what he bedded it on will ask

The reason my trust in him has been dented and I feel the need to check a few things is that everything went really well for a few days. Wall hung loo frame cistern neatly done plasterboarded works a treat. Soil stack top extended to meet building regs.

Then I suspect he started to rush, the bath has been boxed in with tongue and groove chipwood loft boards ready for tiling, and not very well, I had expected marine ply. When taking stuff back into loft last night noticed a hole in the ceiling has been 'repaired' with a piece of plasterboard half a brick to hold it down. The new razor socket cable has been moved by extending it with cable attached to the old one which is taped up with gaffe tape. The electrician booked to do these jobs and check existing lights advice seems to have been dismissed and isn't being called. Want electrician who disconnected the shower to come back and check before any more work done. Don't know if bath should be bonded, gas meter and mains water is, also electric meter RCD fuse box fitted, so perhaps not.

He is adamant the ceiling does not need overboarding even though a stud wall has been removed along with door frame, ceiling is patched up.

The plasterer/tiler is due in tomorrow suspect corners have been cut because he has been postponed once already and I know the plumber has a boiler replacement booked. ( Shouldn't walls be skimmed before bath and shower tray installed)? He is however calling in to see the plasterer at some point so will raise my concerns!

Thanks again

Thank you calorific, I don't know what he bedded it on will ask
Given what you've written, it's well worth asking!!

Then I suspect he started to rush, the bath has been boxed in with tongue and groove chipwood loft boards ready for tiling, and not very well, I had expected marine ply.
Marine board would be good. Chipboard of any type is bad. There is a significant price difference too.

When taking stuff back into loft last night noticed a hole in the ceiling has been 'repaired' with a piece of plasterboard half a brick to hold it down.
Well not ideal but can be reinforced from above by replacing the brick with a bit of any-old-offcut and a tube of no-nails.

The new razor socket cable has been moved by extending it with cable attached to the old one which is taped up with gaffe tape.
Not a great sign. What was the old cable for? At least is is accessible.

The electrician booked to do these jobs and check existing lights advice seems to have been dismissed and isn't being called. Want electrician who disconnected the shower to come back and check before any more work done. Don't know if bath should be bonded, gas meter and mains water is, also electric meter RCD fuse box fitted, so perhaps not.
I'd definitely want a proper electrician to deal with this, and who can give you any appropriate paperwork. Especially if the plumber is using gaffer tape to join cables!!

He is adamant the ceiling does not need overboarding even though a stud wall has been removed along with door frame, ceiling is patched up.
Let the plasterers make the call on that one - they have certain powers :LOL: and should make the surface perfect.

I know the plumber has a boiler replacement booked.
That's a reasonable thing for him to do providing his work at this stage is fine and ready to let the plasterers and electricians do their bit.

( Shouldn't walls be skimmed before bath and shower tray installed)?
One normally completes all the first fix add surface preparation before bringing the white goods in. Matter of common sense really. What are the shower walls goiing to be covered with? Is he using aquapanel if it's going to be tiled?

He is however calling in to see the plasterer at some point so will raise my concerns!
Good luck with that conversation!

Sponsored Links
He assures me the chipwood is marine and suitable for the job they just don't colour it green any more.

On closer inspection the shaver socket is not used as an extension but has not been disconnected and pushed up into the loft space, the new cable is in place and I assume will be connected and the old one removed at the same time. But I will check.

When the tiler/plasterer arrived I voiced my concerns about the state of the walls and ceiling in view of all the white goods being in place. He said it wasn't ideal but it could be fixed without removing the suite but he wouldn't do it in his bathroom! I said in that case you will not do it in mine. He also said the ceiling would definitely need overboarding if not taking down due to the fact that it had at some time been heavily artexed and skimmed already. It was an awkward meeting because the tiler is a friend of the plumber they have been doing this for some time and I believe he has patched up plaster before. I felt it was me against 3 of them but as you say it is a matter of common sense not to fit white goods until the walls are properly prepared for tiles.

About a third of the old plaster had blown and dropped off the rest was sound but no good for skimming as removing the tiles with a jack hammer had roughed it up considerably. He wanted the plasterer to put another coat of brown over the existing plaster and then skim.

The plumber was called the suite has been removed, the toilet has to stay as it is my only bathroom, and the plasterer is as I speak after removing all the remaining old plaster replacing with new plaster board and aquaboard in the shower. The brick in the loft has been removed.

When the light/extractor is fitted I will be discussing with the electrician the need for fire hoods or new fire rated down lights the ones I have are not apparently.

So I am having to beg showers for the foreseeable future but rather that than a bodge job.

Thankyou for getting back.

He assures me the chipwood is marine and suitable for the job they just don't colour it green any more.

Marine ply has never been green. Moisture resistant chipboard is, but I would still not use it to box in a bath which is to be tiled. Chipboard will not do, green or not - check it is plywood.

Thanks denso,

The plasterer/tiler has over boarded the ceiling, stripped the old plaster off external walls dry lined and skimmed, it took 3 days and cost me £290 over the quote because the plumber only quoted for skimming, there was not way those walls could have been skimmed. He wanted the plasterer to patch them up with browning and then skim.

The tiler does not have time to tile now for another 3 weeks as a result of the extra work. So I am up to the first fix now with beautiful prepared walls and no tiler!! The chances of getting someone in the next 3 weeks is pretty remote.

As the plumber didn't give me a contract with a finish date and I want compensating for the delay I will have draft a 'Time of the essence letter' then it all gets very unpleasant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back