ensuite bathroom design - which shower tray?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All, we are exending our home and are adding an ensuite bedroom on the ground floor. We want to keep it simple and have a toilet, basin + unit, mirror cabinet and shower. The size of the shower tray can be as large as 1700mmx800mm and we are thinking of going for a shower tray (with glass screen) rather than walk in shower (with tiled floor) for cleaning reasons. New subfloor will be concrete. I have 2 questions:

1) which shower tray material should i choose? Steel or resin stone? All bathroom retailers pushing resin stone (acrylic capped resin stone) - but I'm not sure how long it will last and whether it will look as good as new in the years to come. These trays are selling for £200-£300 for above size. The other type of tray i was considering is steel enamel (in standard white colour). We have always had steel enamel baths (from Kaldewei) and they are durable, easy to clean, don't lose their shine, don't scratch in normal use and last long. Will acrylic capped resin perform the same? steel tray is £600-700.

2) a couple of builders mentioned it would be hard to fit the trays flush to the floor for sealing reasons. tray has to be a few mm above the floor level. fyi...the slimline trays on sale are 40-50mm high. Note that the entire new ensuite will be in the new part of the house (with new subfloor). can the tray be fitted flush?

Sponsored Links
If your floor is new and flat even with larger trays you can get the tray in flush enough, don't forget you will be fitting floor covering of some sort up to it which will cloak minor areas, also before laying the floor you need to understand where the drainage will be coming out from the tray and build the channel into the floor and make up the trap and waste before fitting it.

Just a word, I made a mistake when buying my shower tray, it is a resin one and very nicely finished and hard wearing but it does not have any anti slip properties so I have had to fit anti slip strips into it which goes against the grain a bit for keeping it clean and hygienic.

Go here for some ideas //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=232104

Ah so seems the builder is telling a fib. Question on the stone resin - has the finish worn down over time and starting to look dull and show scratches? or does it look as good as new still? Thanks

I bought a good quality one and it has been in for over a year and looks as good as new, try not taking showers with hob nail boots on lol... I am well pleased with mine apart from no anti slip...

Sponsored Links
Stone resin every time. Have had one for years and it's still as good today as when I put it in. Used everyday by at least 2 (more when the kids were at home) and probably only slight discolouration from its pure white origin.

Sorry but it's been in years so no idea what make it was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back