Fitting UPVC Patio doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning on buying a UPVC french door and a patio door and fitting them myself. I have fitted UPVC windows in the past but not doors before. I am assuming that the procedure is similar.
I noted that elsewhere on this forum it was said that usually only the sides of the door frame need be fixed with anchors/screws. Is this correct?
The windows I have fitted have been narrow enough that it wasn't necessary to secure the top and bottom. But with a 2m wide door this would surely leave some play in the top and bottom of the frame. What is to stop the frame deforming if it is accidentally kicked? (or deliberately kicked by a burglar from outside).

Is there anything else to do with fitting doors that is different to windows?

Sponsored Links
The reason you don't fix the top is you normally hit the lintel and the bottom could create damp as you drill thru' the DPC !

Believe it or not the top & bottom don't do nothing, just the sides and the weight of the door is spread out on the runner.

A little tip,

On the opening door measure the gap from the top of the patio door to the inside top frame and make a lenght of timber to door width with approx 1/8th thickness less and screw it inside under the top of the frame.This is so the burglar cannot lift the door out of the frame.Normally patio door come with a plastic blocks,some don't or people chuck it away as they don't know what it is!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back