Fitting venetian blinds/curtain rail to a weak plaster wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to fit some blinds or a curtain pole to my window (pvc) but the surrounding wall is a bit weak and cannot really be drilled into (old council flat). I thought perhaps i could use a length of wood and a adhesive and then screw the curtain rail/blind to that (like it is in many peoples homes).

However, i have just painted the whole room and so i am a bit confused how to attach the wood to the wall - on the paint or do i need to expose the plaster first. Also the

Please help

thanks

Sponsored Links
why is the wall weak?

do you mean it is crumbly plaster on bricks? Or crumbly breeze blocks? Or plasterboard on a wooden frame?

There is probably a steel, or a reinforced concrete or possibly a wooden, lintel above the window to support the wall above, unless it has a curved brick arch. What is it? You might need to drill a hole to find out.

the construction of the wall affects the advice.

HI

thanks for the reply - the plaster is weak as it was extremely cracked before i painted it (filled and smoothed over) - most likely to the previous owners drilling many times into it but hitting whatever is behind it. It is crumbly plaster on bricks.

I do not know what the material of the lintel is - but in this case would drilling into this serve a better purpose than the wooden baten above the window option.

I pretty much want to fix a curtain rail or blinds with the least amount of chance the plaster will crack again, although i think what ever is underneath is relatively strong.

thanks

you do not fix to the plaster

yo drill through the plaster and into the material behind, and fix to that.

Sponsored Links
We have pretty old and crumbly plaster in some of our rooms (1930s flat). We managed to fit solid curtain tracks by buying a good quality hammer drill and masonry drill bit, and then drilling about 2.5 inches into the wall to get into the brickwork. We then used good quality raw plugs and screws. We have fitted curtain poles and tracks for nets this way and they're very solid. As other posters have said, you need to drill into the wall until you get to the brickwork/lintel otherwise your track will have nothing to hold on to....

Hang curtains - and then stand back, wait and watch the newly glued timber pull the plaster off the wall with the added weight of the curtains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back