Fitting Windows - A few questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting some new windows and have a few questions regarding window specification / fitting, hopefully someone can offer some advice.

1) Which is more secure / the preferred lock; double cam OR shootbolt?

2) The house has stone cills, I would think it is best to use new frames with no cills added. When I look at the neighbouring properties these all have UPVC cills on top of the stone cills. What is best practice?

20160526_155002.jpg

3) The conventional method for measuring windows from my research shows take 3 measurements both horizontally and vertically of the opening from the outside, take the smallest and subtract 10mm for your frame size. The only issue I have here is that when I look at the brickwork, currently the UPVC frames are sitting behind the brickwork by say 5mm each side. so obviously this measurement method did not apply. What is the best approach in this instance as there is a void area all around. Stick to the standard measurement procedure or have slightly oversized, to sit almost flush with the facing brickwork?

20160528_135134.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
1 - Personal Preference , both are secure

2 - Personally I would stick an 85mm Stubb Cill on them , and have base drain , no unsightly face drainage caps which WILL go missing!

3 - We always try and get our windows behind either the internal reveal or the external reveal , so you will need to measure both inside and outside , If you don't you could well find that your beads could be behind a reveal ...... The biggest thing you have to consider is how you are actually going to get the new window in the hole... the old one can be cut out , the new one has to go in whole.

1 - I'm glad both are considered equal as I had assumed the shootbolt was the superior mechanism.

2 - This is a tricky one because I wasn't that impressed with the look of the double cill....but currently there are face drainers which have all gone missing.

3 - I have created a couple of drawings to illustrate the issue - Downstairs I plan to measure the outside opening add 10mm so it sits flush to the inside face of the facing bricks. Upstairs I measure to the outside opening not adding any measurement to the frame size because I am adding 15mm render on each side. In terms of the void I have seen there are frame extenders, but I was thinking of packing out with timber then once the window is in I can fix plasterboard to the reveal and skim? Right now there are these awful plastic cloaking strips, which just look naff.

Drawing1-Layout1.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back