Fitting wireless relay to 2way loop at switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have fitted a number of zwave light relays to various circuits in my house, as below.

http://www.vesternet.com/resources/application-notes/apnt-52

The wiring has been tight adding these into the back boxes, despite having told my electrician when it was rewired 12 months ago that I would be fitting these and requesting he use 47mm back boxes to maximise the room for them.

I now want to fit them to the hall and landing circuits that are obviously 2 way control on each and controlled on 2gang switches.

As the lights are pendant I was intending to fit this relay to the ceiling pendant as there is lots of room, but when I took it off I found there was no perm live, so checked the switch and its been wired as loop at the switch which of course means a lot of cables going into the back box which even at 47mm is pretty packed and so no room for them there.

Any ideas or am I out of luck? Could I fit another back box and blanking plate next to it to house the connections, although may still be too tight, or if I am doing that, do I just split the 2 gang into 2 1g switches in a double gang backbox and see if my wife would accept the larger switch?

I am pretty annoyed that despite him knowing what I was doing (and being a luxone installer he knows home automation) he decided to wire the house like this and didn't loop at the ceiling roses instead.

I hope someone has some good ideas...

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I have fitted a number of zwave light relays to various circuits in my house, as below.

http://www.vesternet.com/resources/application-notes/apnt-52

The wiring has been tight adding these into the back boxes, despite having told my electrician when it was rewired 12 months ago that I would be fitting these and requesting he use 47mm back boxes to maximise the room for them.

I now want to fit them to the hall and landing circuits that are obviously 2 way control on each and controlled on 2gang switches.

As the lights are pendant I was intending to fit this relay to the ceiling pendant as there is lots of room, but when I took it off I found there was no perm live, so checked the switch and its been wired as loop at the switch which of course means a lot of cables going into the back box which even at 47mm is pretty packed and so no room for them there.

Any ideas or am I out of luck? Could I fit another back box and blanking plate next to it to house the connections, although may still be too tight, or if I am doing that, do I just split the 2 gang into 2 1g switches in a double gang backbox and see if my wife would accept the larger switch?

I am pretty annoyed that despite him knowing what I was doing (and being a luxone installer he knows home automation) he decided to wire the house like this and didn't loop at the ceiling roses instead.

I hope someone has some good ideas...

Why not install a 2g dimmer with two way switching as normal ?

Regards,

DS

I want to use the wireless dimmers so that they can be automated. Turn on when it gets dark, if it's dark and motion sensors are triggered etc or simulate occupancy when away.
Dimming not even a requirement and I would have used a cheaper non dimming relay as an alternative if I could.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back