fitting woodworking vice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
anybody got any decent tips for mounting a record 52 1/2 vice to my workbench. would it be best recessed into the bench? how about the best type of wood to line the jaws with? I have some spare 1" thick cedar available, do you think this would be suitable?

Sponsored Links
bigfangdog said:
anybody got any decent tips for mounting a record 52 1/2 vice to my workbench. would it be best recessed into the bench? how about the best type of wood to line the jaws with? I have some spare 1" thick cedar available, do you think this would be suitable?
Mount it on packing pieces on the underside of the bench so that the top of the metal jaws is below the top edge of the bench. Line the jaws with a hardwood such as beech - softwoods like cedar bruise far too easily and just don't wear. Make sure that the rear jaw lies flush with the bench apron (or better still mount the rear jaw to the inside of the apron) - that way you'll be able to hold longer pieces with a combination of the jaws and a G clamp against the apron. Add a hardwood strip to the tops of your jaw linings, level with the bench top surface to preeserve your plane irons in the event of a mishap.

Scrit

Sponsored Links
Beech is best to make liners for a vice's jaws, the best benches world wide come supplied with beech lined vice jaws!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back