Fix damage in foundation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just wondered what the best product was to use to seal up this damage that a rodent caused as it was trying to dig its way into my house. I want to seal it and make good of the area but as it's below the brick course I don't really know what to use to fill it with.
Thanks for you help/advice.

7A363642-7E8A-4A3C-BAEC-3477E98F215A.jpeg FE5BECA4-503C-40C3-873C-E20469EAA9EE.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Thanks. When you say mixed broken glass, how do you mean?

I don't have the rodent problem anymore, I just want to fix the mess it's left so wondered if I needed something special to repair this damage or what the best advice was.

Thanks. When you say mixed broken glass, how do you mean?

I don't have the rodent problem anymore, I just want to fix the mess it's left so wondered if I needed something special to repair this damage or what the best advice was.

Sand, cement with a few very small pebbles then, if the rodent issue is gone. The suggestion of glass in the mix, was to deter the rodents.

Sponsored Links
I don't think you need glass. A good fill of small and medium stones, and the concrete kept damp while it cures to hard, will wear away their teeth and they will not chew through it.

I read somewhere that the introduction of concrete and burned bricks made a vast reduction in rodent spoilage, when old lime mortar and cob walls fell out of use.

Gravel because it’ll be tough as a foundation?

Out of interest. What are your thoughts on the condition of the 2 courses of bricks below the DPC? I guess they look worse than they are and should really have been a tougher brick than LBC heathers? The previous owners used them in this area and they are approx 8 years old I’d say.

I'd surprised your rodent made that hole. I suspect there was already a gap, perhaps from poor mortar fill, or a soft patch, tempting him to enlarge it.

is there any chance there might have been a water leak escaping through the wall?

push your new fill in good and deep.

Yeah, both areas that I photographed are where the two blocks meet and it’s the mortar joint that he’s gone for/enlarged. I guess these are the foundations of what the house is built on?

Reconstructing the damage won’t offer any structural strength I guess, you’re just advising to fill up the gap that he’s opened up to detract anything else having at go at that area?

The reason I think it’s a rat is that we had the thing in the loft for a bit but no we’ve put some mesh in where we think he was getting in/out of the property it encouraged him to try digging his way in. The droppings in the loft were rat and not mouse too.

I think it was living in the drain as now I’ve refitted the toilet (that was not present) and started flushing it I’ve not heard anything from him for the last 2 months. I think he’s moved on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back