Footing / Foundation Drainage for Victorian house around a bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Under my ground floor joists in some areas is a little damp. It doesn't penetrate very high up the wall due to the DPC. The worst seems to be in the corner of the living room which on the other side of the wall is the gutter drain outside.

I've broken the paving around the drain and baywindow outside in the front garden to see what is going on and the footings and foundations are very wet. The DPC is on the course below the ventilation brick at the top of the water supply. Photo:

20190105_104239813_iOS.jpg

Questions:
1. What is the best method to seal around the water supply main going into the house?
2. What should I do to increase airflow/drainage around the property on the footings and foundations to keep them drier and reduce the risk of damp under the flooring? There are already plenty of ventilation bricks around the exterior of the house.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20190105_104226922_iOS.jpg
    20190105_104226922_iOS.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 497
  • 20190105_104231652_iOS.jpg
    20190105_104231652_iOS.jpg
    600.9 KB · Views: 343
  • 20190105_104235783_iOS.jpg
    20190105_104235783_iOS.jpg
    639 KB · Views: 317
Sponsored Links
Quite normal for soil to be damp, requires no further attention, you could squirt in some mortar resin around the pipe ( looks too shallow for water mains).

Quite normal for soil to be damp, requires no further attention, you could squirt in some mortar resin around the pipe ( looks too shallow for water mains).
It is very shallow for a mains. The original pipe was 20mm MDPE. It was uninsulated the whole run when we bought the house.

I've replaced it with 25mm MDPE and insulated it from entry (as shown in the photo) to the stopcock under the stairs with 19mm pipe lagging. When I come to do the front garden I will remove the 25x20 coupler (in the photo) and 25mm to the mains supply.

Mains should be 750mm deep but it just wasn't feasible to do so I just replaced using the same entry and run.

In regards to the wet footings/foundations, is it a good idea to have about 20mm from the exterior wall a shallow trench like the photo and fill with shingle or stones?

I was also thinking of cementing from the DPC down to the foundation at an angle so any run runs down and below the house to the soil.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back