DAMP UNDER BAY WINDOW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I have a bay fronted victorian terrace house. The wall under the front bay window is very damp inside and snails and slugs manage to get into the room. I have sealed the outside floor tiling as best I can, sealed up the victorian air brick which used to fill with rubbish and put in two new above ground air bricks. The bay has a new roof also. There is a hole where the water from the bay roof gutter goes but I do not know where this leads, there is not a visable downpipe. Could this be the cause of the damp? Or does anyone else have any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
why not install new guttering for the bay with a downpipe that you can see, (or at least put in a new down pipe) it sounds like the water runs into the cavity

The guttering is part of the roof, it's concrete. There is no cavity in the walls so I assume there must be a pipe of sorts within the wall but I do not know the course it takes or where it goes.

Sponsored Links
I think you have to find out more about the hole and where it leads to.
I would first use a straight rod to see if the hole continues vertically downwards and if so how far?
I would also use either curtain wire or a flexible drain wire to accomadate any bends, again to see how far this reaches.
If there is a pipe within the wall then it ought to have outlet and you need to find it or make one, maybe it's been cemented over, or perhaps it is below ground level and blocked
If there is no pipe, then what purpose would the hole serve? None!
If the wall is a solid wall it must have been rather difficult to build it with a pipe hidden inside, however I'd gamble on the pipe being vertical and looking at the brickwork for clues
Could you not seal the existing hole and cut a new channel from the existing gutter to the outside edge of the roof and fit a external downpipe linked and sealed to the channel
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mandate, thanks for the advice. I have spoken to a friend who is in the construction business. He said that the type of house had a parapet gutter with a 2 or 3 inch cast iron pipe going through the brickwork to the drains below. I will investigate this.

just a quick one! you say you sealed up the old air brick, did this vent under the floor level or above? if it was below the floor level, you should un block it as it is there to help air circulate under your floor. if you blocked it up its just going to make things even worse and your floor will start to rot!

Skid, it was under the floor but the new ones are also. The old one was at ground level outside and it filled with rubbish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back