How to mount window seat, no wall studs?

Muq

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have a bay window where i want to build a seat into the bay. My house is old (United kingdom built circa 1930) and I can't for the life of me find any wall studs. It's lathe and plaster walls, I've tried a really strong magnet without luck. I pulled out a skirting board (baseboard) under one angled side of the bay window and all that's there is brick. I'm thinking the entire underneath of the bay window is possibly pure brick and mortar. I've yet to remove the boards under the rest of the window area. is it safe for me to drill mount my wooden frames for the window seat straight into brick and mortar? That would mean drilling through 2inches of wood frame for the seat, then around another inch of plaster before I get to the brick.

Sponsored Links
Build seat base free-standing and then secure to the wall rather than attach a frame, will only need a couple of fixing points.[Have 30's build and walls are little more than a pile of bricks with the old bit of mortar.]Use 18mm MDF for mine with a kitchen worktop for seat. Extended rear to accommodate a radiator.Large overhang at front to prevent trapped fingers when accessing storage.

Build seat base free-standing and then secure to the wall rather than attach a frame, will only need a couple of fixing points.[Have 30's build and walls are little more than a pile of bricks with the old bit of mortar.]Use 18mm MDF for mine with a kitchen worktop for seat. Extended rear to accommodate a radiator.Large overhang at front to prevent trapped fingers when accessing storage.
That looks great, my bay area is much smaller but the idea is the same. I was going to do something very similar to the following, which involves drilling all the pieces into the wall and then attaching the seat top.
Screenshot_20200606-105518_Samsung Internet.jpg

I guess if i build it properly it could also be free standing like you say, didn't think of that.

Sponsored Links
countertop/bar flap hinges are nice for that kind of job

163429.jpg

depending on style of house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back