Wet patches appearing on floor boards and wet carpet in bay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. There are wet patches appearing on the floor boards in my front bay and the carpet is wet. I live in a 1930's house.

The wet patches are on the top of the floor boards and not underneath. The wet patches are not starting from the skirting boards but just appearing randomly. The damp proof course has been replaced. The soil under the floor boards is dry and the bricks and wall of the bay are also dry. The radiator is not leaking but the copper pipes feeding the radiators have a greenish tide mark indicating moisture. There are old water stains on the floor boards starting from the skirting boards and some of the floor boards in the bay have been partially sawn and then screwed back down in the past (maybe to put in central heating)? The front garden slopes towards the house, but as I say, the soil under the floor boards is dry. I have slugs coming in overnight!!

Any ideas what might be causing this problem please?

Sponsored Links
more info?

I mean, how wet is wet?
You say 'wet', not damp, that implies a substantial amount of water.

And only above, not below suggests you have a leak up above. Have you gazed upwards in this area.

Sorry, remote diagnosis with limited info is never an easy job.

rainwater leak from bay; or radiator/pipe leak.

Little bay roofs, especially if flat or neglected, often leak, and may have poor gutters and downpipes..

If you mean that water might run down the sloping garden towards the house, dig a trench that is comfortably below the level of the floor and the airbricks. You may also expose cracks that the slugs are coming through. A foot-deep trench is not too much. If it fills with water you have found the cause.

Sponsored Links
I had this when I had a bay roof, turned out to be a leak up above, ran along the ceiling & dropped down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back