Bricks look wet below window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed two little damp patches below my front room window (just above the skirting board) - there were a few weeds growing from the brick work outside and i had these pulled out and new cement put in. This seemed to do the trick and the damp patches didnt get any worse. However, ive noticed the first row of bricks at the bottom of my house look wet now. Ive also been informed by the water board that were using almost double the average consumption of water so do you think i could have a leak under the house? Theres a constant puddle in the back garden which i think is the toilet overflow which is getting looked at but im a bit worried now that there might be something else going on

Sponsored Links
Best to sort out if you have a broken water main, and get it fixed.
Its normal for the 1st row of bricks to look damp if you have a water leak, it shouldnt go past the dpc level

Best to sort out if you have a broken water main, and get it fixed.
Its normal for the 1st row of bricks to look damp if you have a water leak, it shouldnt go past the dpc level

what if there's not a leak, how long can bricks last being permanently wet?

Sponsored Links
No, dpc is impermeable and capillary action requires pressure to move upwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back