Bay Window condensation issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased a 1930's downstairs flat. It is a house conversion. In the bedroom - I am having condensation on the floor and skirting around the bay window. I am aware the ventilation is not great and I leave the windows open and have used a dehumidifier which both help. Since the weather has gone cold - the wood floor near the bay window is sweating wet and there are droplets of water on the skirting. I have now pulled up the wood flooring and the chipwood floor boards are dry so this confirms that its condensation. My question is how do you stop condensation building up around floor and skirting. There is an airbrick under the window so there is ventilation under the floor. I am thinking the cold air coming through and meeting the warm room is creating condensation. If I put some insulation between the floor joists. ( Its a raised floor - Joists ) . Maybe some sort of vapour barrier ? Will this decrease the change of moisture building up on the floor ? I am putting carpet down with a think layer of underlay and I don't want this to get ruined with condensation. ( the seals around the windows seem to be ok ) .

Sponsored Links
Cold air from outside does not cause condensation, because it holds less water than warm indoor air.

You have a source of water.

Do any of the following apply:

Rainwater entering around window, or roof of bay

Plumbing leaks

Excessive breathing

Tropical fishtank

Bathroom or kitchen has inadequate steam extraction

Wet washing draped indoors or hung over radiators

Of which the last is the most common cause.

Yes the bathroom and kitchen has no ventilation thus the reason I use the Dehumidifier. I dry my clothes in bathroom - window closed with dehumidifier. The kitchen has not been used for cooking often. There is only one person in the property so no excessive breathing.

Do you think insulating the floor might help at all ?

I will get some vents installed in the windows as this will help too.

No

Sucking the steam out will help.

And look for a leak or rain penetration.

Sponsored Links
Drying clothes indoors creates a lot of humidity, much quicker than a dehumidifier can remove it. Big bay window is cold so will condense and drip onto floor.

my thought break it down into sections
close all windows stop drying washing and full dehumidifying for two days
then introduce drying washing with windows closed for a couple off days
then with dehumidifier still on full cycle open for ventilation and note plus or minus points
also try varying windows open and dehumidifier room positions for best conceived benefit

but never ever change 2 or more things at once as you loose the control off the situation to know the cause and effect off changes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back