Fix Kingspan to underside of bathroom ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 1960's house has a small (2.5m x 2.5m) upstairs bathroom built as an extension in the 1980's I think. The room is very cold in winter. It has 3 external walls, and a pitched roof. There is no access to the roof space above the ceiling, though I know the hot/cold supply pipes for the shower run above the ceiling. I think the walls have cavity insulation. The room is tiled floor to ceiling.

I wondered if I could improve the insulation by fixing eg. 100mm Celotex/Kingspan panels directly to the existing plasterboard ceiling. I guess I could glue the panels directly to the ceiling, which is sound plasterboard.

Two problems:

(1) the pipes in the ceiling would be more likely to freeze up. Where they disappear through a hole in the adjacent wall of the main loft, they have only thin 'woolly' insulation, which I suspect is inadequate anyway. I could cut enough of a hole in the ceiling to access the pipes so I could insulate them properly, but I'd prefer not to take the whole ceiling down if possible.

(2) What to finish the panels with. I was thinking of upvc cladding (though I'm not a great fan) which would save more plasterboard + plastering. Not sure about fixing them - I don't know if gluing to the insulation panels would be strong enough, or if I would have to find the ceiling joists and screw through to them.

I could just fit a bigger radiator, but that seems like giving in... :(

I'd appreciate any advice on this, or any alternative ideas.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back