Fix or replace leaking shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been a lurker but first time poster.

I have a leaky shower, its the original from when the house was built. My research says its a aqualisa, mixer shower using the hot water tank. Its leaking about the thermo valve and I've looked up the price of a replacement thermo cartridge and its £80
http://www.screwfix.com/p/aqualisa-shower-thermostatic-cartridge-stainless-steel-125mm/8420g
Now at THAT price would it be better to replace it (it is an old yellowing shower) or fix it?

heres the exposed valve
Ba5pmR0.jpg

Sponsored Links
Aqualisa charge a lot but give a whole lot more. Total quality.

Cartridges can be sourced via E-Bay from authorised dealers at lower than over the counter prices, but make sure you get the correct cartridge - they are different for combis etc.

Aqualisa recommend you turn the shower on and then rotate the dial fully both ways at least 6 times, every few months. This presumably is to dislodge any scale accumulation, and doing so may well reduce or remove your drip.

If not, would still recommend sticking with the brand and replacing the cartridge. Hopefully other Aqualisa bods will be on here later to add their comments.

Good luck - keep us posted!

PS just seen a seller on E-Bay with refurbed cartridges at £25 a pop. Worth your time?

Last edited:
I saw that, I'm not sure about the refurbishment since it could fail. I have seen a aqualisa chrome mixer shower for £170 and wondering if that's the way to go. This shower is 20 years old and like a lot of things go in my new house, rather neglected. Since we managed to get all the way to cartridge when we investigated the leak I'm wondering if we can fix a new shower diy also. There's no electrical work with a mixer is there?

No electrical work but thats a concealed valve. Getting it out and replacing will mean removing and replacing tiles. Do you have spare tiles and can you be bothered with the hassle. Aqualisa are good quality and a new cartridge should make it work like new. If the external parts are looking a bit tired, you may be able to get replacement bits from showerdoc.com

Sponsored Links
Those are good points, I didn't think of that. I'll take a look at shower doc and see what I can do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back