Non thermostatic shower for hard water area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have very hard water and my Aqualisa Midas Plus shower gets scaled up and the valves are stiff to turn.

I have to replace the temperature cartridge every couple of years.

The shower runs off a Vaillant Combi Boiler.

Would a simpler non thermostatic mixer shower without a temperature cartridge be less prone to scaling up ?

The other thing I don't like on the Aqualisa is the flimsy plastic flow/temperature controls which frequently come unscrewed .... would prefer something more robust !!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
1. I doubt you would notice much difference between thermostatic and non-thermostatic with respect to limescale settling.
2. You would however likely notice the difference if someone flushed a lavatory while you were having a shower. Possibly scalding.
3. A proper water softener would cost somewhere around £1,500 to install and around £100 a year for salt / occasional maintenance. Say £250 a year over 10 years.
4. £250 a year is a fair number of shower cartridges.
5. Perhaps try removing the thermostatic and flow rate cartridges once a year, soak in de-scaler, and replace. Add some silicone grease to seals on re-assembly. If the shower has filters / non-return valves, de-scale these at the same time.

5. Perhaps try removing the thermostatic and flow rate cartridges once a year, soak in de-scaler, and replace. Add some silicone grease to seals on re-assembly. If the shower has filters / non-return valves, de-scale these at the same time.
I haven’t seen this mentioned on the forum but seems practical maintenance advice instead of using till faulty and then replace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back