Aqualisa thermostatic shower with combi not warm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a new house (5 years old) and I can't ever get a warm/hot shower. The boiler is a combi with good strong pressure and the hot water from the taps is nice and hot but not scalding.

The shower is an Aqualisa E99 Aquarian Thermostatic. I have taken the shower to pieces and checked the cartridge which looks ok but interesting the colour of the plastic is white and not pink, grey or blue which is what I was expecting (replacement cartridges seem to be in these colours).

The temperature of the shower is initially warm before cooling to what feels like the same luke warm temperature with every shower.

Any one help?

-- ewan

Sponsored Links
how many litres per minute does it deliver?

you say your taps are nice and hot not scalding.
have you checked what the dhw is set to on the boiler ? maybe to low.

@JohnD - I have no idea how many litres but can of course fill a bath and find out. Would that be hot or cold water though?

@seco services What is 'dhw'? It is an oil Boulter combi with a couple of controls one of which is water temperature and I'm not sure of the other. Also I'm away from the house at the moment so can't have look.

Sponsored Links
fill a 10litre bucket from the shower, set on "hot" and time it. If you have a thermometer, measure the temp of the water in the bucket when you've finished, and the temp of the cold water too.

Do you know the power output of your boiler?

(dhw is "domestic hot water... i.e. what comes out of the taps. Seco is wondering if the boiler is set hot enough. The boiler will need servicing from time to time but I don't know if the burners can get out of adjustment - I am just a householder and have never had an oil boiler.)

Also have a look and see if there are accessible service valves so you can turn off the cold supply to your shower mixer.

I presume you haven't got a shower pump.

Have you found the Hot Limiter on the mixer which is usualy provided provided to prevent accidental scalding?

I also posted the original question to Aqualisa customer support and they have proved very helpful and have diagnosed the problem as probably the cold flow being too high as has been hinted at by Seco and JohnD in this forum.

From my limited understanding I assume the way that the shower works is that the thermostat only measures the hot in and in my case determines that it is too hot. It therefore restricts the hot flow however it does not take into account the cold coming in, which is a lot in this case and so the mix of reduced hot and lots of very cold is luke warm at best. Does this sound about right?

Aqualisa sent me a cold water inlet regulator for free :D as whoever installed mine originally failed to install correctly! I have yet to install it but fingers crossed. If this fixes the problem I can't believe the people living there for the last 4-5 years could put up with the cold showers (in winter anyway).

Text of Aqualisa email as follows:

When installing an E99 aquarian onto a combination system, you will need to
have a flow regulator installed into the cold side of the aquarian
cartridge. If you remove the cartridge and check the cold water inlet of
the cartridge you should have a brown flow regulator installed.

Customer Services
Aqualisa Products Ltd
The Flyers Way
Westerham
Kent
TN16 1DE
+44 (0) 1959 560010

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back