Fixed Price Repairs - Halsteads Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just how much value for money are these? I have a Halsteads Platinum boiler that started having problems last year, the water pressure was low but I managed to top it up, bleed the radiators and it's been fine since...Until last night when my son said the shower was cold. Tried resetting it, didn't get any luck until I'd messed about with a few of the switches. (not sure I could be doing more damage doing this) The diagnostic thingie tells me it's a 'water pressure switch is inoperative' problem and mentions water pressure, switch, pump and expansion tank. Clearly there's nothing left for me to do so am I best getting an independent or one of the bigger companies to do a fixed price visit? I'm thinking Npower..?

Sponsored Links
Topping up the water pressure is a user matter and to avoid problems it needs to be checked regularly like the oil in your car.

You seem to have not bothered and the LP switch is now giving a problem which is quite common if the system water is not too clean.

If you have now reset it to 1.5 Bar then it might come back on after a few hours without further attention.

In our local area we charge about £132 to replace that part. For a simple problem its usually cheaper to call a reasonably priced independent but always ask about their charging policy first. Fixed price repairs are better value when an expensive part has to be replaced.

Tony

It's at this point I should perhaps point out that I'm clueless or at least was till last summer about central heating systems - wasn't so much I "hadn't bothered" as completely ignorant. Didn't even know it needed keeping an eye on let alone how to top it up. :oops:

I found some really good information on this forum then and ever since I have kept it at at between 1 -1.5.

I managed to get it to work this evening...eventually. I've had the radiators on, kept turning the hot tap on and it's been okay..this LP switch, is it something that can limp on for a while (till I've saved for a repair) or am I on seriously short borrowed time? (tin bath and kettles of water) Or is that a piece of string question.

Sponsored Links
As long as you keep the pressure at 1.5 Bar when cold it will probably work for years.

I dont think you would have liked me to call you completely ignorant!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back