Fixing a bad putty job around windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've just had my windows replaced for my front door, as seen below:

unnamed (4).jpg

Now my main issue is with the putty depth. From looking at the below photos, you can see it's clearly visible when looking from outside.

Screenshot 2022-05-27 081935.png

Is there a way this can be made neater, or hidden even? Would a thick bead of black silicone be an option? Or am I really better ripping it all out and starting again.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That’s probably as bad as I would do it!

whoever did it, isn’t very experienced with a putty knife….not many people have the skills these days.

mind you, everything was against him - years of paint build on the rebate edge where the knife runs and patterned glass - if on the patterned face, that wouldn’t have helped either.

I don’t know if the glass was bedded on putty first - personally I would glaze with silicone, then when dry do the face puttying.

You have an internally glazed door - and is therefore prone to leaking.

The only way to correct is to remove and start again, don’t try filling it, it will look even more of a dogs dinner.

Thanks for your suggestions Notch7! I was worried that might be the case.
You're spot on with the window fitters experience - I believe it was his first time working with putty. I'll search around to try find someone experienced in this, and put forward your recommendations (glazing with silicone ..etc).
Thanks again!

It looks like the original paint strip on the outside edge of the rebate has been scraped back to rebate edge , people tend to put this paint edge down to poor workmanship however it is there for a reason it is to make water tight between glass and putty when the putty dries out . , this edge is then painted on the inside glass to cover the black strip .
With the advent of PVC windows this edge is not needed

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your suggestions Notch7! I was worried that might be the case.
You're spot on with the window fitters experience - I believe it was his first time working with putty. I'll search around to try find someone experienced in this, and put forward your recommendations (glazing with silicone ..etc).
Thanks again!
If you go to a local well established independent glass company - ask If they have anybody that can do face putty.

I used to make timber windows and when I needed single glazing done with putty I’d get somebody in -they make it look so easy and it’s really fast.

I remember a load of Georgian pane windows, about 130 units - one guy did the whole lot in about 7 hours.

I've been searching around - no luck yet. Someone did suggest replacing the putty with a wooden bead. I'm struggling to picture how that would look.. would that be an alternative?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back