Replacing the putty around a window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A simple enough question- I think!

I am fixing up a wooden garage in the garden and the windows are in a poor state. I used the instructions about how to fix a broken window- well actually I read them after I finished replacing the broken one- but I got it about right.

Anyway, my question is about putty. I was harder to get a nice finish than I expected. It also didn't adhere to the wood as well as I expected. I think the finish was due to me being a bit tight on wetting the putty knife, but the upshot was it took longer than I expected. I was wondering why I was using putty rather than silicon or "frame sealant" from a cartridge gun that looks to me to be quicker and easier to get a nice finish (also cheaper!).

Sponsored Links
yeas maybe but you wont be able to paint over the top of silicone or mastic?
puttying IS AN ART,like most things diy,the more you do the better you do it.
when applying the putty did you press it into the rebate of the window?then with the knife you need to keep pressure on when you strike the putty.
its one job that will do you no favours in rushing.

Thanks for that.

I have to replace the putty in another 15 windows- so plenty of opportunity for practice. I am doing the ones facing the wall first!

Just to be clear though, there is nothing inherently wrong with using silicone/mastic apart from the painting aspect?

Sponsored Links
imo if its outside then mastic looks 5hite ;)
unless its glazing beads?

looks like your be an expert by the time you finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back