Re Glazing Crittle windows - Putty & Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Chaps

I need to replace the glass in a metal framed window, question is, can you tell me what sort of adhesive i should use? (will the linseed putty alone be sufficiant as adhesive)
and also could you tell me what paint to use when painting over putty?
Is there a mix that i can get so the putty sets quicker so that i can paint it on the same day?
Cheers

CB

Sponsored Links
Linseed putty will be fine but you will need to wait till it dries out before you paint :!:

As Crank says, ordinary putty. Once it's dry, undercoat then gloss.

As Crank says, ordinary putty. Once it's dry, undercoat then gloss.

Hi there

Thanks for that

when you say undercoat, what should i be using as an undercoat?

and what do you reckon for drying for 2cm thick putty on a humid/dry day out of the sun? Very rough guess will be fine.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Any exterior grade undercoat will do once the putty has dried enough, you'll need to wait upto a month from experience though

Any exterior grade undercoat will do once the putty has dried enough, you'll need to wait upto a month from experience though

I thought it would be a long time but didnt realise it could take that long :eek:)

Thanks for the reply.

not too worried about gettting the undercoat now you have said up to a month.

Should i cover the putty with something to protecty from rain while it is drying?

Linseed oil putty is for timber frames only, metal frames you should use metal casement putty or a multi purpose putty, then Leave it about a week before painting to allow a skin to form.

The time it takes for putty to set fully can be months to years, if you are worried about this you can get a rapid setting putty from any glass merchant.

Linseed oil putty is for timber frames only, metal frames you should use metal casement putty or a multi purpose putty, then Leave it about a week before painting to allow a skin to form.

The time it takes for putty to set fully can be months to years, if you are worried about this you can get a rapid setting putty from any glass merchant.

excellent. thank you for your help

going to get started tomorrow , if the weathers ok.

if your frames are galvanized you will need an etching primer.

When i tried to take old putty out today some of it wouldn't budge so i left it in so as not to crack the glass.
I thought if it is stuck on that well themn it defeats the object of removing it.

Just for anyone else that needs to do this, I will tell you what i did after the 3rd window that seemed to be the quickest and easiest way

Cleaned out all the frames the best that i could so there was no loose debris in any of the corners that i was going to put putty into

After i scraped with a scraper that had a sharp blade, i used a 3cm wire brush to make double sure that there was no debris (also i thought that the scratches that the brush made on the metal may help the putty to stick?)

after i did this i got the tub of putty ( i used 3 tubs of 2KG Multipurpose linseed oil putty which covered approx 15 meters of window recess but i guess it depends what size your bead is what size your bead is) and emptied the contents onto a peice of old perspex tht i had and kneeded it like you would when making a loaf of bread.

The reason for this was because on my first attempts, the putty was inconsistantly smooth and as i worked my way to the bottom of the tub, the putty got a lot drier than the putty from the top of the tub. you will see what i mean when you open a tup of putty as there willl be excess linseed oil eeping around the edges inbetween the putty and the tub and i reckon that this needs to be worked back into the putty to give it the consistancy it had when it left the manafacturers factory.
after working the putty on the perspex (very clean perspex)

after i did this, i returned the putty to the tub that was still very clean and i grabbed a handful of the putty and proceeded to kneed that in my hands as the longer i played with it (its very calming :D ) the more plyable it seemed to become and this helped me when i was working it into the frames and the last stage of cutting it in.

After i kneeded it for 3-5 mins i started to put it into the window recess by starting at one corner (depends if you are left or right handed when deciding where to start, it doesnt matter i dont think) for example i am right handed so i would start from the right corner (if i am working on the bottom part of the frame and with my right thumb i push the putty into the frame and work my way along to the left, doing this and feeding my thumb with putty with my left hand so as not to break the putty into lumps.

The last stage took a bit of practice,, it involved using a putty knife to smooth out the putty....................

have to get going but wil continue this a bit later

please feel free to tell me if there is anything so far that i have said that i shouldnt be doing as i have one more window left to do at the weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back