using linseed oil putty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have softwood single glazed window frames ( about 25 years old ) in a very punishing south facing elevation and the putty shrinks and cracks a lot, on the bottom bead particularly, and needs replacing. I would be grateful for any thoughts as to whether linseed oil putty is the best replacement like for like or are there good alternatives that will adhere to softwood. If not would it help adhesion to brush a little linseed oil into the cleaned rebate before putting in the new putty? Thanks, jim

Sponsored Links
Is your window beaded? If so use butyl or a butyl glazing tape, even if it is faced up with putty give it a go in butyl, it does not face up as well as linseed putty but it is no setting so should not crack as much.

If you do use putty, treat the rebate with oil-based primer or undercoat first, it will prevent the wood sucking the oil out of the putty.

Gloss paint the putty as soon as it has dried firm, overlapping just a bit onto the glass for a weather seal.

I learnt to glaze windows with putty long ago, but it is a nuisance as not very durable. I have not used it for years, but I use glazing tape and hardwood glazing bead on my glazed doors. The tape is more secure as it makes it difficult to remove glass even when broken. You can get glazing mastic if you think you need it.

Sponsored Links
Thank you God ( I've always wanted to say that! ). They are just finished with a bead of putty ...so its quite thick. I'll have a look at the butyl option. Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back