Glazing Putty help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for any and all help. I am replacing the glass on several sash windows. I've removed the windows the glass and gotten them very clean of the old putty and paint. I've painted the rebate with PVA and allowed it to dry over night. I am ready with the new linseed putty and brands but I can't get the putty to stick to the wood. This is a first time for me so I must be missing something obvious. How do you get the putty to stick to the rebate? It is just falling off when I apply it. Thanks much!

Sponsored Links
I've not heard of painting with pva before but can understand why the putty isn't sticking to it.
You need to remove the pva and start again. Generally rebates are primed with an oil based paint and then glazed. On a recent job the spec was for the windows to be glazed whilist the primer was still tacky, if you can do that it is supposed to be a good way but it does require timing.

make sure its a Multi-purpose Linseed Oil Putty, wood frame putty will only go hard if it can soak into the wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back