Fixing a brake pad sensor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I've noticed there's a damaged cable going into the brakes. I think it's the brake pads sensor?so thought I'd ask if anyone knows if it's an easy fix for a garage there seems to be a bit missing.
Also I've noticed the end of a rubber hose also going to the brakes that I think is for the fluid has a crack in it. There's no leak at the moment but does anyone think this should be fixed soon. The pads were changed not long ago so I assume the mechanic would have seen it and decided it's ok. I've attached a couple of pictures. Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20230326_142811441_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230326_142811441_HDR.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20230326_141623112.jpg
    IMG_20230326_141623112.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 71
Sponsored Links
Fitting a brake pad sensor is straight forward remove and replace, but they can be awkward if they go behind trim or panels etc. The big problems become if it needs resetting on scanner etc, such as bmw. So what car is it, vw ?

The brake hose in the picture shows damage to the rubber protection, not the hose itself. I would prefer it be changed if it was mine but it doesn't look essential from what can be seen

What makes you thinks it's the pad (wear) sensor? It could equally well be the ABS sensor, you need to trace the cable to be sure which of the two. ABS will go to back of hub, pad wear will go to the er.. pad. The first is crucial, the second is a 'nice to have'.

If a brake pipe flexible is showing signs of cracks, it needs to be replaced just ASAP. Don't assume a mechanic changing pads, would inspect other parts and report defects.

If it was an abs sensor and the cable was broken you would get a fault light. It’s just a wear sensor and pretty pointless unless all 4 pads have one. Ignore it.

There is nothing wrong with the brake hose - that split part is just something additional over the hose to prevent the actual hose chafing on anything. If it was mine, I’d just tape it up.

Sponsored Links
Fitting a brake pad sensor is straight forward remove and replace, but they can be awkward if they go behind trim or panels etc. The big problems become if it needs resetting on scanner etc, such as bmw. So what car is it, vw ?

The brake hose in the picture shows damage to the rubber protection, not the hose itself. I would prefer it be changed if it was mine but it doesn't look essential from what can be seen
Yes vw. Cheers
What makes you thinks it's the pad (wear) sensor? It could equally well be the ABS sensor, you need to trace the cable to be sure which of the two. ABS will go to back of hub, pad wear will go to the er.. pad. The first is crucial, the second is a 'nice to have'.

If a brake pipe flexible is showing signs of cracks, it needs to be replaced just ASAP. Don't assume a mechanic changing pads, would inspect other parts and report defects.
The check brake pads is up on the dashboard.
If there's a hose for ABS and brake pads shouldn't there be another lead? I'm assuming the one with damage is the fluid and the other is the pads sensor? Cheers

Broke mine when changing pads on my Touran - pushed it all back together and wrapped in self amalgamating tape.

This was Feb 21, still working fine.

Back