Brake pad change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am sure our skoda yeti 2013 needs its pads and discs changing soon.

We have done 80k miles and they are still the originals. Do we also change the fluid at this time. I haven't checked the pads myself, but i can hear a slight scrapping noise in the morning when we first use the brakes.

Do you also change the rear setup as well as the front?

Any idea on cost to change the disc/pads plus the fluid. I will buy all the parts, so labour only.

Sponsored Links
I would suspect they need changing all round after 80k - that’s a fantastic mileage to get out of one set of brakes. Yes, change the fluid at the same time but unless you know the mechanic, I’d let them buy the parts as sometimes customers buy the wrong parts plus if anything goes wrong, you'll blame the fitter, the fitter will blame the parts. With supply and fit, it’s all their problem. Many garages will charge more for fitting only as they are not making anything on the parts.

All straight forward stuff but if you are doing the job yourself, the back caliper brackets are ferociously tight and held on with spline bolts (female) and its vital to get the car high up in the air so you can get a long breaker bar in. Heating the things up is a great idea too as there is a locking solution on those bolts.
John :)

I will use a mobile mechanic.

Just not sure what disc size i need to get

There are 3 selections on car part 4 less. 280mm / 288mm/ 312mm.

Do i need to measure my existing discs to check, or will it be the 280mm size. Yeti adventure, 2013, 2 wheel drive 2L diesel.

Sponsored Links
I would agree with changing the fluid at the same time as doing the brakes. Brake fluid absorbs moisture over time, and 80,00 is about right time to change. I left it to 100,000 on my van to change fluid which is poss a bit too long. Brakes worked fine, but feel a little more positive since it's been changed.

If you take a picture of the service sticker (usually in the boot in the spar wheel well) and post it here, we'll be able to tell you what discs are fitted in your car.
With Vag cars I usually go original, they last a lot longer as you know and don't squeak.
However, I have fitted brembo on my old lady (Passat b5) and they're great.
There are VAG main dealers selling on Ebay for a lot cheaper than their counter.
I recently bought A6 rear discs and brakes for around £50.
They arrived in original box sealed with Audi tamper proof tape.
If you go for original parts, the mechanic will have no way to complain about the parts.
Anyhow, it's an easy job, so shouldn't be a problem.
Just make sure they use copper grease on sliding parts and if necessary, grease the caliper pistons.
All corners and fluid change, expect to pay around £200/250.

Go on any vag forum and ask nicely to one of the guys there to give you the om part number for your car.
Then with that you can get the equivalent oem if you prefer.

Alas, on my last car job (Berlingo Multispace) I was unable to get my beloved Blueprint brake parts so on went a full set of Einbach bits......never heard of them before.
Anyway, the scenario.
‘Drop the car off about 9, sez I’. ( I could order the bits up and they would be dropped off before noon).
The car arrived at 11.45 :(
‘Sorry, the dog needed a walk’
Oh, that’s ok then, don’t you worry about a thing :( I’ll work in the naffing dark.

Alas, on my last car job (Berlingo Multispace) I was unable to get my beloved Blueprint brake parts so on went a full set of Einbach bits......never heard of them before.
Anyway, the scenario.
‘Drop the car off about 9, sez I’. ( I could order the bits up and they would be dropped off before noon).
The car arrived at 11.45 :(
‘Sorry, the dog needed a walk’
Oh, that’s ok then, don’t you worry about a thing :( I’ll work in the naffing dark.

Some customers aren't worth the effort, are they?

Normally I’d be quite poked but this couple lost their son (32) a couple of years ago to MND so I go the extra mile for them......it keeps things in perspective a bit!

Too kind, Andy!
How to cope with such a disease is anyone’s guess.....18 months from suspected writing problems to the grave in this case.
Heart breaking. The poor guy decided on the day he was to die, and was able to stop his oxygen supply with computer commands with a stick in his mouth.
Now that’s what I call guts.
John :(

Too kind, Andy!
How to cope with such a disease is anyone’s guess.....18 months from suspected writing problems to the grave in this case.
Heart breaking. The poor guy decided on the day he was to die, and was able to stop his oxygen supply with computer commands with a stick in his mouth.
Now that’s what I call guts.
John :(
Christ! Not half

Sponsored Links
Back