Punto brake pads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Punto, only 4 years old, and when I bought it at 23000 miles, I noticed in the service book that new brake pads had been fitted at 18000 miles. I thought this a little strange as I normally get 30000 min out of my Fords.

The car has done 30000 now and during the fitting of new tyres on the front, the mechanic pointed out that the pads and discs were worn and will nedd doing soon.

A few questions:-

Is it usual for Punto pads to need doing every 12000-18000 miles?

Is it easy to change the pads and discs? Is it similar to Fords-remove a bolt and clip.

What sort of a job is it to change the discs? I've never had to do that on any previous car.

Are the parts expensive? The mechanic quoted £150.

Sponsored Links
Worn pads really depends on driving style......... you could do 12000 miles in stop / start traffic and they would wear pretty quick, but 12000 miles of motorway driving would probably hardly show (unless you use the M25!)

Pads and discs are pretty much the same principal on all cars, so should become apparent by whipping the wheel off. Ocasionally get an awkward manufacturer who will mount the bearings in the disc, but you'll see if this is the case.

Get a haynes book of lies for it, it'll tell you how easy it is

my Mk1 punto had about 40K on it when the pads needed doing (they got right down to the plate though!)

Sponsored Links
if you use cheap pads you`ll get no time on them, and if you like putting your foot to the floor everywhere until there is a red light, you`ll get no time out of them, the truth is only grannies get a lot of wear out of pads, and this is a wear and tear item, but 150 quid is a lot i think for a disc and pad change if this is labour only, if your doing it yourself, which is a job that is simple, should cost you half that.

Back