Fixing a gate post to a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I need to fix a gate post to a brick wall, the gate post will have the weight of the gate on it. I have no idea what my options are - right down to post dimensions and fixings. It'll be a wooden ledged and braced gate, so not light by any means.

I think I'll need a 100mm x 100mm timber post, and some heavy duty fixings. Any suggestions and thoughts please? Saw in another post someone suggested these
for non-load bearing post - can I use these?

Cheers![/url]

Sponsored Links
They will be fine - you can always counterbore a hole into the post to give you deeper penetration into the brickwork.
John :)

The post size will be dictated somewhat by the space you have for the opening,
you could get away with 50-60mm deep timber as it will provide enough depth for a good fixing.

I would do 3 or 4 of those, as most of the weight is on the top, i would space them out more to the top then bottom

so 1 on the bottom, 1 in the middle and then 2 at the top, just make sure they are not going to be in the way of the hinge

Sponsored Links
so 1 on the bottom, 1 in the middle and then 2 at the top, just make sure they are not going to be in the way of the hinge

that is great advice, I hadn't even thought of that :)

thanks all for your help

couterbore them in and put two side by side drill them pointing towards each other dovetailing put about 8 fixings in closer together near top for the weight

Thanks for all the feedback, I'm attacking this this weekend.

I will need a 100mm post, how much of each fixing should ideally be in the wood? Obviously I'll need to countersink each one by some amount, but will 50mm of screw be enough?

Also, I'm looking to get some B&Q 135mm frame fixings (sorry, that's the only place round here!) - Can I get away with having 30-50mm of screw in the wood, and the rest in the rawlplug?

cheers all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back