Fixing a slanted hole in breezeblock

18 Jul 2011
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi all,

first post - so hope it's the right forum. I couldn't see one for "shelving errors"!

I have an oak floating shelf that I'm trying to fix into breeze block behind plasterboard. The shelf came with two metal rods, each with an expanding plastic anchor. I actually have 2 shelves, and the first one fitted fine.

The problem that I have is that I didnt drill a level hole in the breeze block, thus the shelf slopes downwards. Moving the shelf is not an option so I'd like to fill the hole and try again. The hole is about 60mm deep and 14mm diameter. Ive also drilled a larger hole in the plasterboard so I can get the washer in that is on the end of the anchor.

I see that I have a couple of options here:

1. I could "expand" the hole at the top so that the anchor will go in level, fill the hole with something and secure the anchor in level (effectively using the solidified filler as a leveler) but whatever filler I used will have to be pretty solid and not give way over time.

2. I could drill a bigger hole, fill it completely, then re-drill a level hole. (I say a bigger hole to avoid getting locked into the previous slanted hole). Whatever I fill the hole with would need to have the strength of the breeze block and be drillable.

Whatever filler I use, I'll have to apply with a nozzle so I can get it right in the hole.

Are either of these approaches viable? I'd prefer option 1 as it seems the simplest (famous last words!). Either way, what filler should I use? I would assume that ordinary PolyFilla is not up to the task, especially for the 2nd option. Is there such thing as a liquid cement (what about fire cement?) and what about expanding foam?

I'm sure this mistake has been made millions of times, but I can't put up with a slanting shelf (especially as the first one is so beautifully level!).

Your help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

I did think of this initially, but had been told by someone else that it wouldnt work. However, I supposed if I clamp it in a vice at the appropriate point I could give it a try.

buy some resin and do what you said, drill the hole bigger and resin the anchor in.....
Sponsored Links

do you mean my "option 1"?

Resin is on the way as it seems to be the filler that I'm looking for, regardless of the amount!
You could fill with repair putty, will be stronger than it's surrounding blockwork , then drill a fresh hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local