how to put up a shelf - london brackets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may seem idiotic and simplistic but I'd like to know people's opinion's on the best way to to put up a shelf. This would be a normal shelf on a normal wall

I've tried two ways.

a) putting up one bracket using a level across the predicted gap as I find sometimes my original level line, the holes have moved slightly if the plugs didn't go in perfectly, then putting the other bracket up and attaching the shelf

b) attaching the brackets to the shelf, putting in one plug/ screw, having the spirit level on the shelf and marking the second side's drill hole. This can be quite heavy and I'm physically disabled.

What I find with both methods is that a drill can skip slightly so sometimes it's fractionally out either way, with brick I'm using 8mm heavy duty rawl plugs so drill a pilot hole first so there's more of a chance that the second hammer drill with the larger bit will be more accurate, but I'm still not exactly happy with the results, this is not to say that every shelf I've put is wonky, the bubble is always within the line, it's just that sometimes it's not quite in the centre).

I think the main "problem" is getting 100% accurate drill holes all of the time, I have a quality drill and the chuck head is aligned (I used to have one that had a "wobble" when you put a drill bit in) so it's not the tools :)

Sponsored Links
Its a perfectly legitimate and regular question!
A couple of tips that may help:
Use a small masonry bit - say 5mm - rather than the final required sized one first, and work up to size in steps.
Don't secure the bracket with each fixing hole - fix one bracket then with your level on top fix the other. If it doesn't go quite right you can ignore this drilling and try another.
Fixing vertical timber bearers to the wall first can make things easier, then screw your brackets to these - but aesthetically you may not want to do it this way.
John :)

So you think brackets first one at a time, but then I have to get the bracket level parallel to the wall, whereas with the brackets on the shelf at least that's one issue out of the way.

I think accuracy may be a problem, I just followed the instructions for using Spit RivaDriva Plasterboard plugs to put up a glass shelf in the bathroom. I drilled the pilot holes, but found the Driva "carved" a hole in the plasterboard that was a millimetre out to one side, fortunately the shelf brackets are extremely adjustable. Maybe sharpener drill bits may be better, I've read though that only ones about 4 mm dig in immediately.

:!: Light bulb moment, This is something I don't know, when one drills does one let the drill get up to speed first ? when I use a circular saw (there are some things I can do), you wait until it's up to full speed before allowing it to touch the wood, so...

I've been doing DIY for 3 months now and have looked up everything, I found various work arounds (for my disability, not being able to carry weight or being flexible and not often having assistance) like putting wooden shelves between two pieces of wood, I attach fixit blocks to the wood then tack some temporary nails in to support the shelf and level it so I'm not supporting it's weight entirely, otherwise I'd be either trying to attach blocks across opposite pieces of timber level in areas where a spirit level would be diagonal or holding the shelf one handed, trying to look at a spirit level with a drill driver in the other, hoping the screw wouldn't fall off.

Accuracy towards one millimetre here......you seem to be a perfectionist :p
No worries! If the drill is running to speed you'll not be able to position it correctly, so start on the pencil mark with a small diameter drill and gently start the drill rotating.
Believe it or not, you can actually buy offset wall plugs (Homebase) - and like you may imagine the screw receiving hole is actually offset from the centre line of the plug - ingenious, and they do have their place.
Obviously another way of maybe getting greater accuracy is to drill the shelf bracket holes slightly larger, allowing you to reposition before drilling the remaining fixings.
Good luck with your projects!
John :)

Sponsored Links
If you have holes which are slightly out you can hammer in timber plugs made from scrap timber, these allow screws to be screwed in over a slightly greater area of the plug accomodating slight misalignment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back