Putting up shelves with adhesive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ladies and gents, I hope you can help with my first DIY post.

I have a single small shelf to put up (pine, about 18x50cm), which will be holding ornaments, or maybe a few stacks of CDs (nothing too heavy). I don't want to drill holes because i'm terrified of drilling through a cable*. I have some No More Nails type glue (imitation stuff from Wilkos) - will it hold the loaded shelf? Not sure if it's useful info, but the wall is plastered stone with blown vinyl wallpaper.

*The reason i'm bothered is that the shelf will be at around eye-level above a plug socket (about 150cm above) and about the same height as a light switch which is about 100cm to the right). Am I right to be cautious?

Thanks ever so much.

Ben

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo ben and welcome :LOL: ;)

no nails is only as good as what its stuck to soooo
if the plaster or the paint or the walpaper paste or the wallpaper have a week point!!!!!
basicly it may or may not work i personaly wouldnt trust a shelf on multilayers only on good clean keyed in or very clean surfaces

if the house has been wired properly the wires should move verticly or horizontaly from any sockets switches or light fittings so keep that in mind when drilling your holes

big-all said:
heeelllooo ben and welcome :LOL: ;)

no nails is only as good as what its stuck to soooo
if the plaster or the paint or the walpaper paste or the wallpaper have a week point!!!!!
basicly it may or may not work i personaly wouldnt trust a shelf on multilayers only on good clean keyed in or very clean surfaces

if the house has been wired properly the wires should move verticly or horizontaly from any sockets switches or light fittings so keep that in mind when drilling your holes

Thanks for the prompt reply bud. My house is pretty old, but I think it is the Actual House That Jack Built. Jack of all trades that is! When I moved in, an electrician told me that the house was a deathtrap and re-wired it all so, I hope, the wires are arranged in the usual way. I'll give drilling a go, making sure not to drill directly above the plugs or level with the light switch, but if I don't post again you'll know i'm a gonner. ;)

battery hammer drill and turn the sockets off
ooorrrrr turn the power off in the room your in and with an extension source power from kitcken upstairs or downstairs socket

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back