Putting a shelf up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to put a shelf up, when I came to drilling the wall the first hole was easy, but the second hole above it will only go in about 2cm and then it hits something solid, maybe metal, the wall plug is 7.5cm.

I googled it and and saw suggestions that I might be hitting a rebar and some people said that you shouldn't drill through a rebar. So do you think this is a rebar, can I drill through it and how?

Sponsored Links
I presume that you have ensured you are not drilling anywhere near pipework or electrical cables? These can be protected with metal plates to stop people accidentally drilling into them.

Where are you positioning the shelf? If above, or to the side at the top of a window, you could be hitting the lintel.

It could simply be a nail, a wall tie, metal studwork (if stud wall), engineering brick or, as you suggest, rebar. All will make life difficult to drill so repositioning may be the better option, if possible.

It is in a cupboard so it's not near any windows. I am drilling in an area that has already been drilled by someone else so I assume there is no pipework or electrical cables, but how would I be able to make sure?

What sort of drill kit are you using? Maybe its just a particularly hard brick - sometimes you can tell by whats coming out of the hole.
An SDS hammer drill will usually go through most things.
A cable / stud finder may help you here - cables should run vertically from sockets etc and pipes usually have a box around them somewhere, or another more obvious route.
I think its unlikely to find rebar there - in a lintel, certainly, but not where we presume you are drilling!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Firstly, check directly above, below, and to the sides of where you are drilling for electrical outlets/switches and pipes. It's always best to know what is on the other side of the wall as well, just in case. Remember, just because there are no cables or pipes visible, it doesn't mean there aren't any buried somewhere within the wall.
You could buy or borrow a pipe/cable detector but my advice, if you are uncertain as to what you are drilling into, is not to do it at all until you have determined that it is not dangerous or likely to cause a disaster. :eek:

The cupboard only has a light switch and that is on the opposite wall. On the other side of the wall I have drilled is another cupboard(my neighbours, same layout). I did a few tests on other spots with a nail and it seems everywhere I try I hit something solid, I must of been lucky with the first hole I drilled. Anyway I don't want to end up with a load of holes in the wall so I will get a detector before I do any more.

Lots of important info missing, is this a brick built house or a concrete tower block or another building?

What type of drill are you using? Are you sure it's made for the material you are trying to drill into?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back