Screwing tinto a hard wood section behind the plasterboard?? (much wider than a stud)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a house built in 2016 - with mostly plaster board hollow walls.

I’m a novice at DIY, but (with a lot of googling/Youtube) I’ve successfully used ‘GripIt’ fixings to put up heavy mirrors/art on the plasterboard. I was planning to use them for the floating shelves I wanted to put up.

BUT, I’ve discovered about 40cm of the wall near corner of the lounge (where I want to put shelf brackets) doesn’t sound hollow when knocking.

It’s the outside wall of a semi. The green dotted lines in the photo are the ‘normal’ studs. The yellow scribble (~40cm wide) is the harder bit. The ~10cm nearest the corner does feel very hard, brick maybe (but I don’t need to drill/screw quite that close to the corner.)

I wondered if this stretch could be a large plank of wood (I’ve tried googling stud walls and corners, & am just overwhelmed.) Might this be the case in a relatively modern house?

And if so, am I right in understanding I can just screw the screws [that came with the shelves] directly into the wall (i.e. no drilling a hole first, no rawl plugs??)

I want to put a heavy ornament on it, & checked the limit for the shelf which said “Maximum load: 20 kgand I’d planned to use red GripIt fixings ('up to 74kg,) so am concerned I get it right!

Any tips are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3122 copy.JPG
    IMG_3122 copy.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 92278_corniches-l-oiseau_v_fullbleed_1440x-1440-1.jpg
    92278_corniches-l-oiseau_v_fullbleed_1440x-1440-1.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2995.jpg
    IMG_2995.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 24
Sponsored Links
You won’t know till you put a hole thru the plasterboard. No pipe/ stud detector is going to tell you.

You won’t know till you put a hole thru the plasterboard. No pipe/ stud detector is going to tell you.
I thought that about putting a hole through, but when searching for what rawl plugs/fixings one uses for wood, I found you don't drill a hole first

Sponsored Links
I thought that about putting a hole through, but when searching for what rawl plugs/fixings one uses for wood, I found you don't drill a hole first
No need to drill just push a screwdriver thru , small blade , if it sticks into what’s behind its wood and you can screw direct to it.

No need to drill just push a screwdriver thru , small blade , if it sticks into what’s behind its wood and you can screw direct to it.
Ah, thank you for that idea (I have thin precision screwdrivers that wouldn't make much of a hole.)

You won’t know till you put a hole thru the plasterboard.
Agreed. But it's nice to be reasonably sure that you won't be poking that exploratory hole through a wire or pipe.

Thank you both. Simple knocking's clearly not a reliable indication in itself. TBH I wasn't just going to assume, I came searching first.
I had a little poke (after turning the downstairs fuse box off - which I alway do before drilling into a wall. I'm inexperienced at DIY, so hesitant, but not cavalier.)
After the normal plaster board, there is a small gap. Even though my amateur knocking in a certain spot sounds different, the plasterboard doesn't go straight into wood. It's about 4cm deep before hitting (poke-able) wood not rock hard brick. I tried a long thin screw (thinner than I'd want to use for a shelf), which obviously wasn't firm through the plasterboard. So I guess I go back to my original plasterboard fixings!

Is there a socket or switch nearby you can remove? Will give you a clue as to the wall construction

I can see in your photo there is a double socket, you might find the patress box is attached to a timber stud (all of mine are in my 2020 new build), will give you a good starting point. The studs should be evenly spaced, usually they're about 40cm

When i'm mounting stuff, if I find a stud, I just go straight into it with woodscrews

I'm quite fortunate in that I managed to go roudn the whole property when it was just stud walls and take photos, so I know where all the pipes/cables *should* be, but it's best to check as assumptions make an ass of U and me ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back