HELP PLS - How do I fix to this?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I really hope someone here can help. I’ve recently been charged by my wife to install a (39’’) TV Bracket upstairs in the (converted) Loft (semi-d, party wall).

Using magnets etc. to find 2x stud fixings (successfully, I think!) I naively assumed the 2x stud-less (fixings-to-be) were plain plasterboard and planned to use GripIt fixings (after generally favourable reviews) (as I can’t span the studs).

After drilling a 25mm hole, now I find myself facing the attached.

Is this plasterboard with insulation foam behind it? (I have a distant memory of this from the 2007 build). If so, how can I fix to this? Fill it with resin? There is no void behind and so the GripIt fixings just won’t work.

All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve.

Attachments

• 13C1F2FA-2ABB-419E-8D60-498B0020E78D.jpeg
    13C1F2FA-2ABB-419E-8D60-498B0020E78D.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 96
Sponsored Links
Party wall may be brick, ignore the mess and fix to wall behind board with screws and plugs .You need to establish rear structure , how old are the properties ?

Hi All.

I really hope someone here can help. I’ve recently been charged by my wife to install a (39’’) TV Bracket upstairs in the (converted) Loft (semi-d, party wall).

Using magnets etc. to find 2x stud fixings (successfully, I think!) I naively assumed the 2x stud-less (fixings-to-be) were plain plasterboard and planned to use GripIt fixings (after generally favourable reviews) (as I can’t span the studs).

After drilling a 25mm hole, now I find myself facing the attached.

Is this plasterboard with insulation foam behind it? (I have a distant memory of this from the 2007 build). If so, how can I fix to this? Fill it with resin? There is no void behind and so the GripIt fixings just won’t work.

All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve.
Are gripits the discs that send out some little wings when you turn the cam? If so they sell a little drill attachment for creating a suitable void around the back of the hole. I'd wear a mask when dealing with any sort of insulation, especially if deliberately pulverizing it

Party wall may be brick, ignore the mess and fix to wall behind board with screws and plugs .You need to establish rear structure , how old are the properties ?

Victorian. 1880. Problem is, because there’s an existing hole at the very bottom to allow (speaker) cables to come through I know it’s about 18cm to the wall! Hard to know how to insert a rawl (or equivalent) from that distance?

Thanks for your quick reply. Steve.

P.S. Yes. It’s definitely brick.

Sponsored Links
Are gripits the discs that send out some little wings when you turn the cam? If so they sell a little drill attachment for creating a suitable void around the back of the hole. I'd wear a mask when dealing with any sort of insulation, especially if deliberately pulverizing it

Re mask. Thanks! I will remember for any further pulverising (now that I know what I hit for a few seconds!).

Yes. That’s right. That’s exactly what GripIts are. I did a quick search on their site (albeit from my phone) and couldn’t find the tool you mention immediately but I will persevere.

Thanks for the advice!

I would be fixing a large sheet of 1/2 in plywood to the plasterboard with a mixture of adhesive and standard plasterboard fixings (the ones you screw in and then put the screw in). Fortunately modern TVs are fairly light.

Screenshot_20220425-094637.png

Re mask. Thanks! I will remember for any further pulverising (now that I know what I hit for a few seconds!).

Yes. That’s right. That’s exactly what GripIts are. I did a quick search on their site (albeit from my phone) and couldn’t find the tool you mention immediately but I will persevere.

Thanks for the advice!
"Undercutting tool" apparently. Check you get the right size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back