Lining Up Drill Holes In Wall For Heavy Duty Shelving Brackets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pair of heavy duty shelf brackets to fix into a plastered brick wall. I'd like to know the best way to drill the holes.So they don't go out of alignment and the shelf ends up being skiwiff.
I have a quite heavy quite powerful variable speed drill and a lighter one. I'm using 10mm wall bolts as the heavy duty fixings.
See attached photos.
Cheers.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 291
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 306
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 306
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 296
Sponsored Links
Spirit level.

Start with a small drill bit and go bigger in stages.
Screw the bracket onto the wall with the top screw and use the level to get it vertical
Then get the other one horizontally level

Those bolts are very heavy duty for a simple shelf

I guess your drills have a hammer action? They will need to be.
Rawlbolts aren't the easiest things to install unless you've done them before.....usually 8mm plastic plugs with a 50x 5 screw (example) are more than adequate. What do you intend to put on your shelf?
John :)

Spirit level.

Start with a small drill bit and go bigger in stages.
Screw the bracket onto the wall with the top screw and use the level to get it vertical
Then get the other one horizontally level

Those bolts are very heavy duty for a simple shelf
Thanks, I thought it would be like something you said.

Sponsored Links
I guess your drills have a hammer action? They will need to be.
Rawlbolts aren't the easiest things to install unless you've done them before.....usually 8mm plastic plugs with a 50x 5 screw (example) are more than adequate. What do you intend to put on your shelf?
John :)
Hi John,
Yes, might seem like overkill. What it is, the brackets were originally fitted into the wall, with some pretty substantial raw plugs and bolts with a hex nut. My brother in law did it for me but not around anymore. The brackets and shelf supported a really big and really, really heavy old style CRT style PC monitor.

This time around I want a shelf above a work table, is going to be 4ft x 2ft made out of heavy 25mm plywood. I bought a new tower base unit, not hugely expensive, £285, 3.9Ghz CPU, 16Gb ram, from CCL Computers on Ebay, with a 3 year warranty, free collection for repair and free return, CCL have been going for around 20 years. So 285 for a good spec base unit is a pretty good deal. O/S was Win 7 Pro, legal, licence off a dead PC, 7 quid, took a while to bung all the updates on it though.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I got the substantial wall bolts to be double sure, the shelf didn't decide to come off the wall and my new base unit with it:)
I originally posted as I wasn't sure of how when drilling out the holes, to prevent wandering. Yes the big WORX drill has hammer.
Before I drill the holes proper, will have a go at doing some practice holes, just to make sure don't bodge up the proper ones, fill with artex or filler.
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back