Very heavy duty wall shelving - advice on loads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at putting up some shelving ( ... so far so good/easy ...). But, this particular shelving is going to need to support a fair amount of weight - I reckon about 150kg.

The shelf will be going to into a good, solid, brick wall (in a old victorian house), and I was planning on using heavy duty shelving brackets, fixed with shield-anchors.

But, I'm not toally convinced that trying to support 150kg on a wall shelf, is such a great idea - and hoped for a bit of advice as to whether this will work, or whether I'm nuts for trying!

If it helps, the shelf will be supporting a fish tank (about 80cm wide x 35cm deep).

Look forward to your thoughts!

Sponsored Links
Its quite a weight, but it is a static load.
Twin slot shelving - Screwfix 56901 for example - can carry a lot of weight and it has the advantage that the bottom of the upright can rest on the floor.
Secured with 8mm wall plugs at regular intervals, it should be fine.
John :)

Thanks Burnerman. Good to know at least one person doesn't think I'm mad!

I forgot to mention, that the shelf will be going into a corner (the other wall being a chimney breast) - So I'm thinking I could also use this second wall to add extra support to the shelf.

So do you think using heavy-duty shield anchors is overkill for this particular job?

Personally, yes, I do - 8mm plugs with a heavy gauge screw such as a 5 x 50 will be fine.
After all, water filled radiators can be fixed in this way, and they can be really heavy. You also have the means to use a good few plugs / screws with this type of shelving.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Theres a big difference between a radiator which is only 2 or 3 inches from the wall, and a fish tank maybe half a metre or so from the wall.
You would be best off testing it before putting the tank on it by getting you and a mate to jump up and down on the shelf at the same time. If it doesn't move, it'll be ok.

Yes, Spur shelving channel or similar is very strong.

A good tip for getting a first-class fixing with plasplugs in a brick or block wall:

if the bricks are crumbly or difficult to drill, so the hole is not a perfect fit for the plug,

firstly verify that it is plenty deep enough and wide enough for the plug and screw to go right in (a loose plug fit is OK with this method)

clean out all the dust from the hole with a vac or water squirt

put the nozzle of a no-more-nails or similar grab adhesive right to the back of the hole, and withdraw the nozzle slowly as you inject, so there is no air gap at the end

push the plasplug into the hole, slightly below the surface of the wall, so it is embedded in the fresh adhesive, and clean off any excess. It may help to put a screw a couple of turns into the plug to use as a handle

Let it set overnight before driving in your screws and fixing the bracket.

This gives a very sound fixing and prevents the problem of plugs being loose or turning in the hole, or the substrate being loose or crumbly or cracked. It is the best DIY tip I have learned in many years. There is also a professional method using injected resin which is more expensive and works very well.

Presumably not being fitted very high so why not mount on floor mounted bench?

Thanks for the advice guys.

foxhole, I have thought about this. In fact, this is my 'plan b' should I not feel brave enough to go with the wall mounted option!

I'm actually thinking of repositioning the shelf into an alcove, so that I have three walls to make use of. Might give me a few more options on how to support the shelf (?)

It will be easy job to mount in alcove as three walls to support will make it very secure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back