Floating shelf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks. I bought a floating shelf with associated brackets to fix to a tiled wall in a shower room. I drilled and plugged for the brackets between tiles (ie: on the grout line) to avoid cracking any tiles. The rawlplugs and screws are substantial and the brackets, once in place, feel really tight with no apparent movement. However, there is noticeable play on the shelf (front to back) when I push it back fully in place on to the brackets and screw it from underneath to prevent it sliding forward. Needless to say I am quite disappointed with the result and wonder if it’s just a bad product (shelf is mdf 24” x 8”, approx). Anyone else had this problem and overcome it ?

Sponsored Links
It’s an mdf construct (looking at the back edge) but has a white melamine type coating. I’m in France at the moment and bought it for about 16€ in a local bricolage (diy) shed. I’m now wondering if the holes in the shelf are maybe slightly too large bores for the pegs, as it were. I’m thinking of wrapping some tape around the pegs to make the fit tighter. Desperation tactics, lol

Last edited:
It’s an mdf construct (looking at the back edge) but has a white melamine type coating. I’m in France at the moment and bought it for about 16€ in a local bricolage (diy) shed. I’m now wondering if the holes in the shelf are maybe slightly too large bores for the pegs, as it were. I’m thinking of wrapping some tape around the pegs to make the fit tighter. Desperation tactics, lol
Normally chip board , mdf is too heavy .

Sponsored Links
Normally chip board , mdf is too heavy .
When you bespoke make them you have a thin (6 to 12mm) skin of MDF top and bottom with something like 18mm MDF front, rear and ends and torsion box "innards" (egg box) to keep the weight down - so not solid MDF. I've installed commercially made ones which were similar in construction.

Heaviest ones I ever made were 2in thick solid sycamore...

When you bespoke make them you have a thin (6 to 12mm) skin of MDF top and bottom with something like 18mm MDF front, rear and ends and torsion box "innards" (egg box) to keep the weight down - so not solid MDF. I've installed commercially made ones which were similar in construction.

Heaviest ones I ever made were 2in thick solid sycamore...
Doubt he got a bespoke shelf from a diy shed .

I have assembled IKEA shelving units with thick uprights and shelves which used a similar construction technique apart from the surface material being veneered or foil-wrapped MDF

There is normally a hole in the bottom of the shelf and a corresponding hole in the arms of the bracket to secure the shelf (at least there is in my versions of the same shelf)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back