Fixing a velux window shut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am told by BC I need to screw my side velux shut from the outside. Does anyone know if there are instructions anywhere?

Sponsored Links
Oh that'll be fun. What's a side Velux anyway?
Presumably it's a potential overlooking problem...assuming it is timber framed you'll need a 100mm or so screw and screw through the moving bit into the fixed bit at the max distance from the hinges. Of course you'll need either big ladders or scaffolding to do it from outside....

Open the top flap and screw from in there. close the flap the screws will be invisible

Some older ones had bolts tucked in there to secure.

The ones in my attic roof have a hole top/bottom on one side, I have wondered what they are for - but thinking now - if I put a dowel in them then it wont be able to be opened from the outside. ???

Sponsored Links
Mattylad it there so you can reverse the widow and bolt it in position for cleaning, or bolting it open a few inches for ventilation without the wind being able blow it fully open. If BC want it screwing shut from the outside for some reason then a 70mm screw will be enough.

Every window has a sliding bolt built in, which can be seen when you open the sash.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back