Fixing bad plasterboard job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I found my self in a rush to split our second bedroom into two smaller rooms (new baby was early!).

1st time doing a stud wall and all was fine until the plasterboard. As you can see this hasn't turned out too well. The plan is to wallpaper.

1. Do I need to re-do it or as we are just going to wallpaper can I just fill the gaps and screws? If so what do I use?

2. Or would it be better to get a spread in to skim? If so will he be able to cope with the gaps?

3. I presume the gaps at the top can the be filled with expanding foam or anything else as it will be hidden by the coving?

Originally we had planned to redecorate and paint the walls, but when knocking the new door way hole found that the old existing stud wall is plywood not plaster board on the bedroom side. Is this common?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Simple job for a plasterer - leave it as it is and he'll finish it easily enough. Less than a day's work, so you're looking at under £200 all in. ;)

1st time doing a stud wall and all was fine until the plasterboard. As you can see this hasn't turned out too well. The plan is to wallpaper.

You've at least used drywall screws and the ivory side is outwards so there's a good start :D

on the stud work you put up, are there any horizontal pieces?
From your 3 pics on the right, the lines of drywall screws look just round the edge.
I would suspect for full height wall board, if there is no support horizontally/middle, it may flex.
Not sure how many screws are considered ideal, but might need some more? - the gaps look quite big between screws.

It is usual to leave a small gap at the bottom.

The gaps you've left I'd agree don't look neat, but I suspect would be ok for a plasterer (or yourself) to fix, so not present a major problem.

I'm sure the pros will be along to comment soon

Doesn't look that bad. Once you re-do the coving the top will be sorted. The rest looks pretty much OK.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. A relief to know that I won't have to re-do it.

In answer to DIYnewbee there are studs at 400mm and nogins at 750mm (so two rows). I just only screwed around the edge. Do you think it would be better to put some more in? Also some of the screws are just a little bit raised, is that a problem?

So even if I am just wallpapering is the advice that it would be better to get skimmed rather than just fill the edges and screws myself?

Thanks again....hadn't realised how awkward lifting boards on your own was!

hi I'm getting into the plastering trade and working with a decent spread.I do all the boarding for him and i put a screw in every 4 inches and make sure they are slightly sunk in so it can be taped over(using scrim)

hope that can help you a little

Thanks all. A relief to know that I won't have to re-do it.

In answer to DIYnewbee there are studs at 400mm and nogins at 750mm (so two rows). I just only screwed around the edge. Do you think it would be better to put some more in? Also some of the screws are just a little bit raised, is that a problem?

So even if I am just wallpapering is the advice that it would be better to get skimmed rather than just fill the edges and screws myself?

Good news on the studs then :D
Yes, I would suggest putting some more in to cover the horizontal. Perhaps would have been easier marking these before boarding up - but you should be able to find them close enough. ;)
It was really the vertical that looked a bit sparse - Daniel's post looks on the money.

I suspect a skimmed wall will look better even if you're papering.
Tho if you've not done it before, would consider you get a spread in - won't cost too much I'm sure.

If budget tight etc or you want to have a go yourself, if you get some easi-fill you should be able to fill the gaps. Easi-fill is easier than plaster and sands to a smooth finish, ideal when patching small areas.
If you're keen, maybe fill in any sunk-in screw heads also will avoid any possibility of them showing through your paper.

If you do have any screws sticking up, I would ensure these are screwed down or they will likely show. In fact if they are too proud on the wall, there's a chance it could show through a 2mm coat of finish plaster - tho if you got a spread in, I'm sure they'd sort this before starting.

All things considered, a good first job. :D

if there are noggins in there then i would definately put some screws in or the board will probably flex in the middle. always better to be safe than sorry. the gaps shouldn't be a problem. you should have left about a 1inch gap from the floor though. if you get it skimmed then you will have a nice flat smooth surface to paper onto but you could fill the gaps and paper over if you wish, it probably wont look as good though.

good luck :LOL:

sink the screws ever so so slightly as the guys have said and put more in, only having round the edges of the board isn't ideal.

if you are going to try and fill then use easifill and sand it but you'll need scrim tape for the gaps, screw heads just need a dab on.

if you do paper it and decide it looks rubbish you won't be able to get it skimmed as the boards will be knackered then so consider it carefully.

coving will dort the gap at the top so no worries there.

pretty good job for a first timer! like newbie says, you got the boards the right way round, i've turned up to more than one job where i've had to skim the brown side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back