Fixing bath filler and shower head to a stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this has been asked, and I've searched in vain for the exact right answer I'm afraid.

I've built a stud wall (against an exterior wall) to house pipework for a valve, bath filler and shower head. The valve seems simple enough as there's some degree of flexibility in how far the taps slide on.
However, the filler and shower head are the issue. I've bought wall plate elbows (which I'll mount securely in the stud wall) to attach them to but :

a) there doesn't seem to be enough room to fit in the plasterboard and tiles - so, when fully screwed on, the gap between the back of the filler and the elbow is only around 15mm. Does it have be screwed fully on? I could extend with another connector, but then surely the weight of it, is on that rather than the wall plate?

b) how can you possibly work out where the rotation will end up? Obviously, both need to finish perfectly horizontal.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Sponsored Links
OK, it looks like the rotation issue is resolved. There is a way to loosen and rotate the connector to the required place.

Still can't work out how to get the right depth though. Any tips?

Can you not just add a packer plate onto the plaster board to mount onto?

Unless I'm confused about what packing plate is, wouldn't that just put the filler & head further away, and hence have an even shorter length of connector?

Sponsored Links
Apologies, I miss understood you.

Firstly then, where does the wall plate to shower head / bath filler seal?

On the threads, on tape, no an o-ring or a washer?

If I understand your question, they seal against the tiles (is that what you meant?)

The shower head has a washer (see pic) but having read other threads, this can be pretty much discarded (as there will be no way to get behind the stud wall to screw it on)

Recess the wall plate elbow into the plaster board to create the desired gap?

Rather than backing any fittings off, which will most probably result in leaks that you cannot deal with, try and get the distance you need out of the wall.

What gap do you need?

You can get extensions for the backplate elbow. Its an 1/2 inch male to female iron ask a plumbers merchant they are called tap extensions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back