Fixing down bilge pumps....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am looking to put a couple of these

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pow...Stainless Steel Water Pump /d40/sd3220/p33192

into 2 x 70 gallon coffin polytanks (one in each) the trouble is I need to somehow get them to stay still..its for a hydroponics system and they will be for mixing the water in one tank and for pushing water from the other tank (storage tank) into the main reservoir.

I could fix stainless L brackets to the bottom of them and screw them onto heavy plastic sheets but this will effect the level at which the other pump will suck down to.

I am now thinking rubber suckers?...but they will have to be real big

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Fix a bracket above the tanks and suspend the submersible pumps down into the water. :)

Fix a bracket above the tanks and suspend the submersible pumps down into the water. :)

good idea :)

Trouble is it would need to be a solid fixed bracket the exact length of the gap between the roof of the tank and the handle of the pump in order to keep it fixed into place...this will also make it hard to get the pumps out for service

Just had a further think about this idea...

If I were to get 2 x long threaded stainless bolts, drill holes in the top of the tank, drop them down, mark the positions on the bilge pump handles, drill the holes into the handles so they line up spot on, slide the bolts through the tanks roof, put a couple of nuts on the bolts against the roof of the tank thus holding them in position, put a couple of nuts on the bolts as they some through the handles...this should hold them well and truly still...you would then have to get inside the tank with an open ended spanner and undo the nuts below the pumps handles to get them out (at the same time gripping the bolts on top of the tank)

Another issue might be how much the tank flex's when full and empty...the tank cost me £190.00 inc VAT so I dont really want to be cutting experimental holes in the top of it

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Does the above sound like a plan?...any ideas on the sorts of bolts, nuts, washers etc I will need to go through the top of the tank and through the bilge pump handles?...I need to do it in a way where the pumps can be taken out without to much aggro should they need cleaning etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back