fixing gaps between window and wall - causing draughts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know this has been covered a lot from searching but just want an opinion if possible.

Bought a 90's house, windows have previously been replaced at some point with doubleglazing - however it is quite a cold house and there is a noticeable draught around all the window surrounds. (and not just out of the annoying trickle vents).

ALL the windows have plastic trim on them, top and sides, (about an inch wide i think) -
from previously redecorating other rooms i know there are quite large gaps concealed below these between the window frame and the wall, exposing the cavity. so i suspect the installer has done a bit of a bodge job all around the house and it might be worth me ripping them off and tackling while its cold out.

I suspect this is probably causing some of the draught - how best to fix? (and is it worth the effort for this particular cold issue?)

I see previous recommendations of expanding foam and filler? is this best, will it stop a cold draught, i havent used foam before? will it cause any damp issues or impede installation if we ever change the windows? (i think the glazing units might be knackered as there is some internal condensation between the panes too at times so it might be a possibility one day).

thanks
Rich

Sponsored Links
Pull the trims off and foam the gaps if you want to improve it. If you have a lot to do get a professional foam gun (about £20) and a couple of cans. The diy cans will just end up everywhere.
If you want to put new trims back on you can get them from Eurocell (they have branch's everywhere and they deliver).

* Should not cause damp. Foam = insulation = warmer surfaces = less damp. This assumes generally reasonable levels of humidity/temp in the building.

* If the frames are good, glazing units can be replaced. If not, the foam can be hacked away rather easily so no issues.

* Yes it is worth it. Though do you have cavity insulation, otherwise it is like filling a few holes in a sieve (well, slight exaggeration).

* Foam is messy, be prepared.

Sponsored Links
As said above, use expanding foam. It insulates and goes into all the tiny gaps.
Foam is not that bad to use. Have a spay bottle with water near you when you do it. If the foam expands too quick, i.e. you have overcooked it with the foam, spray water onto the surface and it stops expanding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back