How to get rid of draughts on existing double glazed windows

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've moved into a new house and it's COLD!
In a previous post made asking for advice I was told to take a candle and go near windows to see if there was any draughts anywhere like windows and doors

Heck: I didn't even have to take a candle - one several windows there is constant draught coming in!!!
Never ever noticed before

How can I stop this? What can I do?
(Without of course replacing all windows!)

Is there some foamy stuff or something that I can put where the draught is coming in from? But: I need the solution to be permanent + not an eyesore

Any advice would be great

Thanks

OM

Sponsored Links
Is the draught coming from around the windows or through any opening casements?
If the latter you may need new seals the price for which would need checking with a window company. If the price is too much then it's possible to form your own with a silicon rubber mastic. Coat your casements with soap on their meeting faces and a bead of mastic onto the frame and shut your windows. The soap will stop the casements sticking to the mastic and will form a seal.
If the draughts are coming from around the window again , assuming the gap isn't huge, mastic would probably solve the problem, with perhaps any voids rammed with rockwool or similiar and then masticed.

thanks for the reply - instant notifications of replies don't seem to be coming through to me - i would have replied sooner

i think i'm going to give the sticky adhesive draught excluders a go
they're quite cheap - the only thing i'd worry about it if they would stick out like a sore thumb!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back