Fixing gate frame to sectional garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

I think I know the answer to this one because a search has flagged up similar discussions. But here goes.

I want to fit a wooden gate between the wall of my house and my garage wall, a span of just over a metre. No problem fixing the hinge side of the frame to the house because its standard construction, but the garage is sectional concrete, which I know can be tricky to drill. Is there an adhesive I could use on that side which would take the weight of a short section of frame for the bolt keep? (there won't be a latch)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
DeWalt extreme masonry bit and go easy. Not on fast speed.

Bolt resin with threaded bolts to fix timbers on

DeWalt extreme masonry bit and go easy. Not on fast speed.

Bolt resin with threaded bolts to fix timbers on
Thanks for the reply. I don't possess an SDS drill: never needed one before. Could I do the same job with an ordinary drill but not on the "hammer" setting?

Don't need SDS bit. Buy the standard DeWalt extreme masonry bit version.
Be slow going without hammer action. Buy a cheap DIY hammer drill for £25 ish

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. I’ve already got a decent drill, so I just need the masonry bits, resin and bolts. Job for next week if it doesn’t rain.

Thanks again. I’ve already got a decent drill, so I just need the masonry bits, resin and bolts. Job for next week if it doesn’t rain.

The concrete can be exceptionally tough, and usually is steel reinforced around the thicker edges. Better not to try to drill the edges of panels. The rest of the panels are usually quite thin, so rather than resin bolts - nuts and bolts, right through the panel.

The concrete can be exceptionally tough, and usually is steel reinforced around the thicker edges. Better not to try to drill the edges of panels. The rest of the panels are usually quite thin, so rather than resin bolts - nuts and bolts, right through the panel.
Thank you. Plenty of food for thought there.

To fix to concrete garage you could drill and screw thru from inside to timber outside , large washers to spread load on screw head .

To fix to concrete garage you could drill and screw thru from inside to timber outside , large washers to spread load on screw head .
Would drilling from the inside reduce the possibility of damaging the concrete? I read somewhere that there are metal reinforcing rods within the concrete panels, and that damaging the metal whilst drilling can lead to the rods rusting, and the concrete eventually breaking up. Which is the main reason why I asked about using adhesive.

Would drilling from the inside reduce the possibility of damaging the concrete? I read somewhere that there are metal reinforcing rods within the concrete panels, and that damaging the metal whilst drilling can lead to the rods rusting, and the concrete eventually breaking up. Which is the main reason why I asked about using adhesive.
If you hit any steel just squirt in some silicon to keep it sealed .

The reinforcement will be in the thicker webs of concrete, if you have any doubts, use a metal detector, before drilling. Outside, to in, might produce less damage of the surface, but it will be difficult to avoid all breaking out with a drill.

Many thanks again. I'll ponder all the responses and form a plan of action. Eventually.

MS polymers will fix the post to the wall.

Eg

Stixall

toolstation.com/stixall-adhesive-sealant/p77137

CT1 grab and bond

You may however need to use a hot melt glue gun to lock the post until the ms polymer sets.

The post isn't load bearing.

Thanks for the further response, Opps.

I've realised since my last contribution that I can use some of the original panel securing points to fix the post to the garage. At first I thought that the set of nuts that secure the original bolts to the panels and which are closest to the opening between garage and house were not accessible, but in fact they are, and have proven easy to remove. These originals are M5 135mm approx ( presumably they were Imperial sizes because the garage was built in 1965) and if I change them for M6 180mm coach bolts ( I'm sure there's enough tolerance in the original bolt holes to take M6) I can use them to secure the 45mm gate post to the garage. Given that I now have a maximum of 6 ready made securing points, I might even fix the hinge post to the garage because that will enable me to fit the gate so that it opens away from the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back